SL 350 buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
My sons have grown up and have their own cars and so the need for a 4 door car is now less. As a HUGE Merc advocate I'm now looking at the SL. Needing fuel economy (and so a 350 for me) and a panoramic roof, is there anything else I should consider when buying one if these.

I'm looking at dealer supplied second hand, despite having last 2 CLSs brand new. Maybe that's a reflection of getting older wiser and cynical.

Any useful tips , and were there any facelifts? Is airscarf a good option or a waste of space.

Budget £35k

Thoughts welcome.....

Marc

Last edited:
My sons have grown up and have their own cars and so the need for a 4 door car is now less. As a HUGE Merc advocate I'm now looking at the SL. Needing fuel economy (and so a 350 for me) and a panoramic roof, is there anything else I should consider when buying one if these.

I'm looking at dealer supplied second hand, despite having last 2 CLSs brand new. Maybe that's a reflection of getting older wiser and cynical.

Any useful tips , and were there any facelifts? Is airscarf a good option or a waste of space.

Budget £35k

Thoughts welcome.....

Marc

Have Airscarf on my SL63. It's a nice to have. You get a bit of warm air on the back of your neck. Wouldn't pay for it as an option new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Airscarf is a must if you intend to use the car roof down on anything other than sunny summer days.

Electric wind deflector is also a must plus the reverse Camera.

All other things are personal preference.

SL400's are now dropping into the high £30K's and are a vast improvement mechanically over the 350, to a degree that they made the SL500 almost entirely redundant.

Real world mpg in my sig below at circa 6000 miles in 13 months since we took delivery.

Here's a useful thread to read:-

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/175380-r231-sl350-24-hour-test-drive.html

Last edited:
I have had my SL400 for a few months and around 1600 miles. I have loved driving it, luxurious yet reasonably sporty; and with a retractable roof.

The average mpg for the 1600 miles is 29; which is not bad. I do mostly out of town driving. Am still only at 2600 miles so I think mpg might improve as engine runs in fully.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/215959-r231-sl-400-a.html

BTW, air scarf is ACE.

my godson and nieces love it, probably their favourite feature

My only issue really was the electronic brake system pump , which apparently is a serviceable item , and a cost of around £2000 if replaced by an Mercedes dealer , which happened to myself , but thankfully they did it under an good will gesture as every case is decided in its situation , my car had done less than 10000 miles when it failed ,,,
Other minor issues is the water leaking into the boot , common fault apparently ,
As someone else stated , airscarfs are a must imo , also the auxiliary battery can be troublesome if your not using your car much as I wasn't !!
As for fuel economy imo if your looking at an SL the fuel economy shouldn't be an issue ,
Happy hunting

Mpg economy

Just out of curiosity, how much money in fuel do you think you'll actually save, over the course of a year, as a result of owning an SL350, rather than an SL400?

A tenth? Not much in the whole cost of ownership thing.

Last edited:
My only issue really was the electronic brake system pump , which apparently is a serviceable item , and a cost of around £2000 if replaced by an Mercedes dealer , which happened to myself , but thankfully they did it under an good will gesture as every case is decided in its situation , my car had done less than 10000 miles when it failed ,,,
Other minor issues is the water leaking into the boot , common fault apparently ,
As someone else stated , airscarfs are a must imo , also the auxiliary battery can be troublesome if your not using your car much as I wasn't !!
As for fuel economy imo if your looking at an SL the fuel economy shouldn't be an issue ,
Happy hunting

are you referring to the R230 (the previous generation SL)?

C240Sport97 said:
are you referring to the R230 (the previous generation SL)?
I think so it was a 2011 350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom