SL 500 R230 Glove box locked open!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fothers

Car
SL 500 R 230 (2002)
Hi - brand new to the world of SL's, love it so far but has a couple of faults my one. There's lots here about opening the glovebox. Did that. However before trying to fix the mechanism I tried to close it and it wont. Basically the latch is in the "closed" position and I can't fathom how to open it again! Any help greatly required by this nebbie. Richard (Kent)

Hi Richard,
Welcome to the forum.
suspect it is still the adjustment as they seem quite sensitive and don't need much of a turn on the knurled wheel to open correctly. As yours is locked I would look where the locking bar on the box fits and thread a piece of wire/cord through the latch if possible. Pull down while pressing the open button and go from there. As you say lots of help to open on the web.
Good look.

If you reach in and over the top rear wall of the glovebox you can adjust the white knurled adjusting wheel with your finger.
If that wont work slip off the cover trim plate on the end of the dash next to the door card and reach in with a very long screwdriver to adjust the white plastic wheel.

Thanks both for this. I had the end of the dash off last night and saw the cable. behind the cable (towards the engine) is a white device. Is this the thing that needs rotating? Don't think I can get a hand in that far if it is, so do you try and use a coat hanger etc, to move, in which case which way?
Odd it opened after the Youtube vid shows someone bashing the end of the dash whilst pressing the release but then "locked". Obviously wished I had not bothered!!

Secondly the other fault is the drivers seat will not move via the buttons on top of the seat (but will from the door controls). It will also not "remember" new positions. Again in here someone says to move all the way back/forward/back to reset the seat, but that did not work for me, any ideas?

Otherwise a really nice car.

Richard

Yes its a white plastic knurled wheel that acts on the cable like a brake adjuster on a push bike brake cable adjuster. You can get to it from the end of the dash with a long screwdriver. From memory you scroll it down to loosen a trapped shut lid so you need to do the opposite. This all presupposes the actual catch isnt snapped of course !
Did you have the door open when you tried the seat top switches ?

Last edited:
Richard, thanks, BTW I'm also from your parish!
Will have a go but it seemed a bit of a thing to get to, might need a "Bloke".
As for the seat buttons, yes I tried open and shut, guess open would be in the mind of the designer?

I have a local "bloke" who can sort it for you but arent you in Maidstone which is a bit of a trek to us in Barnham near Chichester for a small job ? He fixed my locked glovebox in 5 mins. He will be with me one day next week installing air horns now the caravanners are getting under my feet on the A27 roundabouts !
Let me know if you want to link up here. He is Porsche trained and knows his stuff.
Did the seats move then with the doors open ?
R

R
Thanks for this link, I had found that page and was the one I was working on to fix the opening of the box before it all went wrong! Basically did pull the end of the dash off but then the view did not resemble the pic. So then thought would postpone but couldn't shut it....
I'm going to see a local indy to me tomorrow and see if he can work it out, otherwise am actually in Chi Fri/Sat (not next week), so your chap might be of assistance?

Seats - no they will not move from the buttons on top of the seat (drivers wont, passengers will), but the controls on the door do make the seat go fore and aft.

R

Sorry for the slow reply but am waiting for some bits to arrive before arranging to get together with my guy for fitting. Might not be tomorrow or Sat then but watch this space.
Any luck with the top seat switches? Fuses ?
Richard

Hi, no problem. I went to MB in Rochester who sorted the glove box. New latch whilst there.

Seat they reset but its lost it's memory again! I'm going to post another thread in seat memory and see what that gets. In Chi until this pm then off West.

R

Got a sl350 r230 centre console and storage compartments locked used Mechanical key in glove box this opens and locks glove box but nothing else does anyone know a fix would be extremely grateful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom