Sl 500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Of course there's the usual eBay rubbish e.g. "they go up in value monthly" and "We source our cars from Main Franchise Dealers to ensure the best quality" but that appears to be a nice example of a pre-facelift car - I like the colour! Definitely worth a look, I would say. Make sure it has a hard top though as this isn't shown or mentioned.

It is a lovely colour and for me it's the right combo of dark paint, light interior and the little diddy rear seats.
I can see further than the salesman guff.
It doesn't appear to have a 100% service history and lack of hardtop seem to reflect in the price. Neither bother me. If it's got lots of receipts & the MOTs stack up and it passes an indy's scrutiny I will be happy.

The lack of full service history is potentially a bit odd given the low number of owners and the fact that the last one (actually, last but one ... so is it really 4 owners?) had it 11 years. But if the car checks out then that and the possible missing hard top (and wind deflector, I would suspect) are just haggling points.

Looks nice enough to me. Better than lots of average dross that is often out there. Price seems about right. I would be selling mine at 14k I think for a 1999 70k miler with 2 previous owners.Not quite ready for sale but will be soon. Just spent a tidy sum with Olly @ PCS so just a couple more bits to do then she will be ready.

The colour combo on this car is nice but the front indicators look weird. Are they US/Jap spec? Is it a UK car?

rockits said:
Looks nice enough to me. Better than lots of average dross that is often out there. Price seems about right. I would be selling mine at 14k I think for a 1999 70k miler with 2 previous owners.Not quite ready for sale but will be soon. Just spent a tidy sum with Olly @ PCS so just a couple more bits to do then she will be ready. The colour combo on this car is nice but the front indicators look weird. Are they US/Jap spec? Is it a UK car?
What's weird about the indicators.

They are normally all orange or all white/clear aren't they? These look like the US or import ones of half each.

rockits said:
They are normally all orange or all white/clear aren't they? These look like the US or import ones of half each.
I can see that now. Thanks.
That will one of the questions I will put to the seller in the email that I'm about to send him.

IIRC that style of front indicator is correct for a late pre-facelift car. Or they could just be aftermarket ones intended to 'freshen up' the appearance.

A Japanese import would normally be LHD (even though they drive on the left, like us). Also the side repeaters on the front wings are UK spec.

Sl500

My SL500 is a great car
2006 model
£92000 new
Most options ticked
But although a great car it does require attention
Just back from MB Guildford with a £4000 bill for age related issues
So be aware ...
great to own but can dent the wallet

That's the correct indicators for a 94 or 95 car. Before that it's amber, afterwards (facelift) are clear.

Bieldside said:
My SL500 is a great car 2006 model £92000 new Most options ticked But although a great car it does require attention Just back from MB Guildford with a £4000 bill for age related issues So be aware ... great to own but can dent the wallet
That's the newer shape though isn't it. Early models in this shape are going for less than the previous shape. They are very complicated and have a lot of problems. Shame because they are very attractive cars.

My SL500 is a great car
2006 model
£92000 new
Most options ticked
But although a great car it does require attention
Just back from MB Guildford with a £4000 bill for age related issues
So be aware ...
great to own but can dent the wallet

Totally different model with massively increased complexity. The OP is talking about 129s

So the indicators on the OP's original link are still not UK standard though. They should be 100% orange stock as far as I was aware. Later facelift cars are white/clear. Looks weird to my eyes. I'm sure most normal people would have no issue but my nature would mean I would want to return them to orange stock.

rockits said:
So the indicators on the OP's original link are still not UK standard though. They should be 100% orange stock as far as I was aware. Later facelift cars are white/clear. Looks weird to my eyes. I'm sure most normal people would have no issue but my nature would mean I would want to return them to orange stock.
BTB thinks they are. There may be a valid reason that they aren't the indicators as fitted by the factory.

So the indicators on the OP's original link are still not UK standard though. They should be 100% orange stock as far as I was aware. Later facelift cars are white/clear.

No, they are correct fitment. No, they shouldn't be on a 1994 car. Yes, they are.

I'll dig out the exact changeover point from EPC in a second.

Last edited:
Amber lenses - up to chassis# 105260
Two tone - from 105260 to 125158
White - 125158 onwards

My car is Jan 95, chassis number 114xxx, so 1994-95 is a reasonably accurate timeline.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom