Sl 55 AMG - Boot Problem - Soft Close not working and car saying boot not closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonnim

Car
Sl 55 AMG
Hi guys,

My SL 55 has not been used very much over the last few months. I took it out today and I had issues closing the boot which I have never had before.

Firstly, the soft close function was not working, which is strange because it has always worked flawlessly.

Secondly, when I physically slammed the boot lid shut, the little button on the drivers door was lit red saying that the boot was still open (even though it was definitely shut) and therefore the car would not allow me to close the roof (it was saying I need to close the boot).

Anyway, after a while of opening and closing the boot, I managed to get the red light off somehow and closed the roof - luckily. Now I am too scared to open the boot again.

Do you think the issue is related to the soft close function and do you think it could be something as easy as changing a fuse, or something incredibly expensive has gone wrong? Could it be something to do with the air system which operates the boot and is there a way I can reset it?

I usually leave the boot battery on trickle charge and perhaps the boot did not close properly or having the wire there has disrupted something.

If anyone has any ideas I would like to try what I can myself before sending it to the mechanic. Unfortunately I have no diagnostic equipment.

Thanks so much in advance.

Quite possibly the PSE pump has failed but it needs proper diagnosis with Mercedes Star.
I don't know of any recommended Mercedes independant workshops in SELondon, but the place that is often recommended is Wayne Gates in Harrow.

Hopefully your car hasn't got the dreaded SL water ingress into the boot which has damaged the PSE pump which operates the soft close function.

I do not think so, I keep the car garaged. I took it out today and I did wash the vehicle, I always put some cloth under the boot struts just incase a few drops come in but it is never more than a few drops. I am quite sure it is not due to water...

This guys repairs pumps and is local, I will be taking mine to him.

Some comment in this thread about low voltage causing the soft close not to work
There seems to be a common recurrent thread about air leaks in the boot locking mechanism as well if you search. Various people suggest listening for leaks or checking for leaks using water an looking for bubbles.
Its also mentioned that there is a fuse that can blow (fuse 70?) and may need to be overrated to 25A. Sounds easy to check.
But this seems to describe your problem Boot soft close not working Again, leaks seems to be the answer!

My 2007 SL500 went into my local indi today after then soft close pump came back from the refurbisher. 3 leaks then glued in the boot lid mechanism. Boot closed no soft close 😱😫. I have been slamming the boot shut for a few months, to get the red light to go off, which also caused the third break light to break. Back in tomorrow for a new £300 locking mechanism!!. Only owned this beauty for 11 months and so far with these problems, new front shock boots, air con condenser and 4 new tires, it’s cost more in non service repairs than my 1999 R129 which I’ve had for 11 years. Love it though.

The soft close has never worked on my SL, I guess it’s about time I checked it out!
There’s a guy on eBay who advertises the pump fix in Dartford Kent. It’s £13 to have it diagnosed then he gives a price after looking at it. Yet to find out about the cost of mine as couldn’t get it in today. The mechanism with airlines in the boot lid is easily glued fixed but test it a number of times. Mine took a few goes and a few hours of waiting. If it still doesn’t soft close someone suggests trying to raise the lock plate a little as slamming the boot shit could have shifted it. If that fails then it’s £300 new. Mine didn’t work for all last summer and eventually cost me the third brake light.

There’s a guy on eBay who advertises the pump fix in Dartford Kent. It’s £13 to have it diagnosed then he gives a price after looking at it. Yet to find out about the cost of mine as couldn’t get it in today. The mechanism with airlines in the boot lid is easily glued fixed but test it a number of times. Mine took a few goes and a few hours of waiting. If it still doesn’t soft close someone suggests trying to raise the lock plate a little as slamming the boot shit could have shifted it. If that fails then it’s £300 new. Mine didn’t work for all last summer and eventually cost me the third brake light.

How did it cost the third brake light? From slamming shut? I just replaced mine and don't fancy doing again lmao.

How did it cost the third brake light? From slamming shut? I just replaced mine and don't fancy doing again lmao.
I’m assuming, as is my Indy, that having to give the boot a good slam at the end of travel was a factor in it giving up. That and the age. It also prompted me to fix the soft close for this seasons fun. Originally I was looking at a lowish cost fix, now bumped up by £300 for the locking mechanism.

The soft close has never worked on my SL, I guess it’s about time I checked it out!
I’m using some of the savings lockdown has created, (low petrol and pub costs). I was also worried about damaging something else which could be more expensive. Open the boot then close and open the locking mechanism with your fingers while boot open and listen for leaking air. I’d definitely send the pump for testing as that’s a common fault caused by leaking air. But I would get check if the locking parts have moved caused by hard shutting and you may save £300 on a new lock.

Presumably we have to remove it for testing?

interesting comments as I’ve had to slam mine shut for the two years I’ve owned it 😳

I’m assuming, as is my Indy, that having to give the boot a good slam at the end of travel was a factor in it giving up. That and the age. It also prompted me to fix the soft close for this seasons fun. Originally I was looking at a lowish cost fix, now bumped up by £300 for the locking mechanism.
Agree. One of the reasons I hadn’t looked at it was that sometime in my SLs past it had a replacement lock, so it’s obviously been an issue..

Presumably we have to remove it for testing?

interesting comments as I’ve had to slam mine shut for the two years I’ve owned it 😳
It’s a simple remove with only a couple of plugs needing removing. YouTube will have a video somewhere as it’s a common fail

Update on soft close. Pump repaired and new boot locking mechanism for £300. Total parts cost £450 plus Labour. Boot soft closes with ease now so no more worries about what I was loosening or destroying by having to slam the boot shut. Was warned off this model by so many people but it is a fantastic car. So far in first 11 months have had to replace all four tyres, front shock covers, aircon condenser, boot pump repair and new lock. Add in the ridiculously low purchase price for a 2007 with 36,000 miles and I’m still quids in compared to the costs of a new less exhilarating and interesting car.

Update on soft close. Pump repaired and new boot locking mechanism for £300. Total parts cost £450 plus Labour. Boot soft closes with ease now so no more worries about what I was loosening or destroying by having to slam the boot shut. Was warned off this model by so many people but it is a fantastic car. So far in first 11 months have had to replace all four tyres, front shock covers, aircon condenser, boot pump repair and new lock. Add in the ridiculously low purchase price for a 2007 with 36,000 miles and I’m still quids in compared to the costs of a new less exhilarating and interesting car.

That's the spirit! I can't imagine the supercharger whine getting old any time soon :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom