SL 55 choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The 2004 model year R230 did not have Bluetooth; 2005-on may have had. I would think most sellers would mention it in their ads.

As others said, buy on condition. Personally, I think that 60-100k miles is ideal, as it’s lowish but you’re not paying a huge premium that some low mileage cars attract. I would also go for the latest you can, but they are rarer and command a premium. Mine is a 2003.

Check some cars out to get a feel for them. I didn’t want silver. I went and looked at a
black 2003 and immediately didn’t like the condition. Signs of rust on rear arches and grubby interior.

When I saw mine, I pretty much knew immediately I was putting a deposit on it. It was in great condition, drove great, and was an unusual colour combo. It also has the five spoke split rims - I wouldn’t want to clean the turbines!!

I plug my iphone into the aux socket in the glove box. I tried Bluetooth but the sound was crap. You then have satnav, phone and music.

I’ve had mine three years and use all year round - unless there’s salt on the road. It’s let me down twice but I’ve limped home.

The ABC pulsation damper failed. That and the accumulators should be changed regardless at around 50-60k miles. The struts and pump can go on forever with regular fluid changes - mines been trouble free for two years.

I also had to get two new keys. Mine failed and caused some very rough running until it failed completely and I couldn’t turn the key in the ignition.

The PSE pump was recently refurbed (£400) and they are a common fail. They control the soft close boot, central locking etc..

Good luck with the search. I think they are unbelievable value. I love mine 😎

Possibly, but if you're looking to buy a car you can run on a shoestring, don't buy a fifteen to twenty year old SL 55. Expensive cars tend to have high running costs, and as they get older the cars get cheaper but the running costs don't. Has the car had any preventative maintenance on the known possible problem areas? If not, well, roll the dice and see if you're lucky, but be prepared not to be...

Possibly, but if you're looking to buy a car you can run on a shoestring, don't buy a fifteen to twenty year old SL 55. Expensive cars tend to have high running costs, and as they get older the cars get cheaper but the running costs don't. Has the car had any preventative maintenance on the known possible problem areas? If not, well, roll the dice and see if you're lucky, but be prepared not to be...
Wise words.

Fair point but I am not, I have recently sold off my car collection and am now missing having at least one weekend driver but sorting out the good from the bad is proving a challenge

i have an opportunity to buy a 45k car but my hesitation is the car has has none of the usual issues with suspension etc so has it built up a few big bills 🤔
As we all know there are no guarantees with any car so you’ll need to factor it in. If there’s no sign of maintenance on the ABC I would get a quote to replace all the accumulators and pulsation damper, plus fluid and filter change. Factor that in to the price.

I fixed mine myself. If you can do that you’ll save a ton of money.

Have you seen the car and checked the history?

Last edited:
i have an opportunity to buy a 45k car but my hesitation is the car has has none of the usual issues with suspension etc so has it built up a few big bills 🤔
Can't say that that's the logical conclusion. The real damage on SL's gets done through LACK of use (and servicing). It's not moving "moving parts" for long periods of time which can create a problem, particularly if the car isn't serviced by someone who cares. (i.e. just an oil change isn't enough)

I drove up to Wakefield a couple of years ago to see a 2007 SL500 on (probably) 50k which sounded great on paper. Low mileage, one owner, serviced. Total waste of time. Had been parked outside someone's second home. Intermittently used, never cleaned, serviced "by the local garage." It was a rattly old thing with all kinds of issues. Quick test drive and an immediate walk away.

I had that with an eBay car, the black one I looked at - and he had the cheek to relist it and referred to me as a time waster! But it gave me a bench mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom