SL 55 engine makes a whining noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spilab

Car
Sl 55 AMG
Hi,
I have a whining noise from the front lower oil pan that is anoying and varies with the rpm. I suspects it's the the oil pump that sounds beecause the whining is still there without the serpentine and SC belt.
Theres a thread from last year by epicnerdrage but i haven't posted 30 posts yet so i can't contact him and see if hi reached a conclusion.
Thanks

Look below the reply box-his thread/post is there to be read
Hello, thanks for the answer.
I read the thread and i can't see that he wrote the reason for the whinng, just that he would take it to a mechanic.
Regards :)

The oil pump in the M113K is very noisy and changes with RPM as you state.

However, this video would suggest replacing the O ring might quieten it down.

I don't recall mine sounding as bad as the "pre O ring replacement" part of the video but it certainly wasn't as quiet as the "post O ring replacement" part of it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow thats a heck of a difference, i've had 2 m113k's and they both had a whine on a cold start although did get quieter once warm

The oil pump in the M113K is very noisy and changes with RPM as you state.

However, this video would suggest replacing the O ring might quieten it down.

I don't recall mine sounding as bad as the "pre O ring replacement" part of the video but it certainly wasn't as quiet as the "post O ring replacement" part of it.

Hi,
Thanks for your sugestion and I am inlines to agree with your conclusion. Ihave a steady oilpressure beteende 0.7-3 bar depending on rpm when the engine is warm. I will see if i fix the issue agter the summer.
Regards :)

Wow thats a heck of a difference, i've had 2 m113k's and they both had a whine on a cold start although did get quieter once warm

Ahh yes... that's probably what I am remembering. It was very noisy when cold and then quietens down once warm.

@Spilab - maybe do a video with sound of your car when it is at normal operating temperature, with some revving, and we can probably gauge if it sounds right...

Ahh yes... that's probably what I am remembering. It was very noisy when cold and then quietens down once warm.

@Spilab - maybe do a video with sound of your car when it is at normal operating temperature, with some revving, and we can probably gauge if it sounds right...
Hi,
I will do a video and post it when i'm home again. 😀

Hi,
This is how the engine sounds when it's warm.
It's not thar high when the engine is warm but you can still hear it.

SL 55 AMG whining oil pump

From what I remember, that sounds fine to me as is.

Here's a video of mine back in 2013. The car would have been 8 years old odd and from memory, was probably on around 80k miles and mine perhaps sounds louder as you can hear it about 3 foot in front...!

Hi,
It's a lot louder when the engine is cold, i'l probably fix it after the summer. Thanks for the feedback. 😀

Hi,
It's a lot louder when the engine is cold, i'l probably fix it after the summer. Thanks for the feedback. 😀

Yeah but that's normal as above.

Mine was much louder when cold.

No harm in changing the O rings on it though to try though...

The M113 is not a quiet engine. I've had six of them, both supercharged and n/a, and none of them was quiet.

I’ve just replaced the pickup O ring on my SLK55 with the m113 engine. Just in time too… link here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom