SL 55 TOO LOUD!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have an E55, LT Headers, no cats, no Resonator, X pipe thru to 2 small power flow rear boxes and it’s not loud at all until you nail it, dosent drone, im sure Paul.. Wheelnut58 could confirm it’s not in your face loud... just burbles along at normal speeds ..👍🏻

With me it’s an age thing, I used to love them loud. Personally, I think they got the SL55 spot on as standard, when you open it up it makes a lovely noise.
I used to have a car back in the day that was so loud it would wake up the dead ! Even guys on their Harleys would look over when I'd pass them on the hiway.

I like it stock now. Makes just enough sound when I put my foot into it

It just passed the noise test at Thruxton - 85dB against a max of 90, but that wasn't under load, just holding at 4000 rpm.

But I'm very happy to say the chap that sold me the car has found the original SL55 back boxes! So they're going on shortly.... then we'll see about the button to bypass the silencers and make it loud again!

I have an E55, LT Headers, no cats, no Resonator, X pipe thru to 2 small power flow rear boxes and it’s not loud at all until you nail it, dosent drone, im sure Paul.. Wheelnut58 could confirm it’s not in your face loud... just burbles along at normal speeds ..👍🏻
How does it pass an MoT test?
What is the point? Draw attention to himself?
Well, yes, really; people don't fit noisier exhausts to make themselves unobtrusive...

You might want to also check the engine mounts because if they collapse, it could cause the exhaust to touch the body and resonate through the frame which will make it sound a lot loader. That car should only be load when you get on it.

How does it pass an MoT test?

Well, yes, really; people don't fit noisier exhausts to make themselves unobtrusive...
:rolleyes: How old is he ;). I liked a noisy exhaust when I was still in my teens.

:rolleyes: How old is he ;). I liked a noisy exhaust when I was still in my teens.
What has age got to do with it?
I'm long beyond my teenage years but still appreciate the sound of a Mercedes V8 under load.
I had my exhaust modified so I could just do that too.

Why is a modified exhaust such a problem to some people?

I don't have a problem with noisy exhausts per se; indeed, my SLK is very noisy (not my doing), but I keep the noise down most of the time. The problem I have is with people with the 'look at me' syndrome, who have noisy exhausts and take every possible opportunity to demonstrate the fact...

I'm long beyond my teenage years but still appreciate the sound of a Mercedes V8 under load.

1) If he was 18, I could understand ;) . I did it as well.
2) I enjoy the sound of a good engine as much as anyone (I've posted more than once about the sound of cars like the AMG GT and Quattroporte S). Seeing grown men revving their engines with cut-off exhausts (IMO) comes across as immature. It reminds me of the behaviour of people from some hot and dry countries I've lived in. "Look at me, I've got an expensive powerful car look at me".
3) Your car your choice.😀
4) I've been out (meetups) with people who have very loud exhausts and rev their engines in traffic etc. They usually get dirty looks from passersby and most people do not enjoy the noise (which is what it becomes) or the puerile behaviour and I find it embarrassing to be with them.

Grow up Roger 🙄

😊

1) If he was 18, I could understand ;) . I did it as well.
2) Seeing grown men revving their engines with cut-off exhausts (IMO) comes across as immature. It reminds me of the behaviour of people from some hot and dry countries I've lived in. "Look at me, I've got an expensive powerful car look at me".
3) Your car your choice.😀
4) I've been out (meetups) with people who have very loud exhausts and rev their engines in traffic etc. They usually get dirty looks from passersby and most people do not enjoy the noise (which is what it becomes) or the puerile behaviour and I find it embarrassing to be with them.
Points 2 & 4 I agree with.
I don't do either, unless someone asks to hear it.

My Brother owns a Garage and helps where he can.. 👌🏻Hope you are well Roger? I’m just back on after 6 month in prison...

Hope that Beast of a car is still entertaining you..!
Lee
Who's been a naughty boy then?😆

Yes, the E63 is a very satisfying car to own. It does everything I need it to do.

I had a rear muffler delete carried out on my CLS500, not because I wanted to shout "look at me" but because I wanted to hear the V8 a bit more in the cabin; as it was quiet as a church mouse. Same as you though it droned below 2000 rpm making it quite unpleasant after a while around town. Ended up having some J pipes installed & it's perfect now, just the right amount of volume without being obnoxious & without the drone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom