SL 63 Oil dipstick levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIRMA

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RCF
Having now discovered that the engine oil dipstick is at the rear of the engine after me thinking that it was for the auto/MCT box I am having difficulty working out what is the correct way of checking. There are three little plastic type markers on the dipstick and I'm assuming that the level should be between or at least on the upper plastic marker.
I have always checked oil levels cold after the vehicle has been parked overnight but I read somewhere it should be warm and left for five minutes so what do owners on here do.

I thought dipsticks were removed years ago, with the advent of electronic measurements

MB garages have the dipsticks still though

If it's the Bi Turbo engine then yes, the dipstick is to the rear right hand side of the engine looking from the front.

I usually check mine after it's been left for an hour or so, but still slightly warm, though the manual says your way is acceptable too. The level should be in between the top and bottom markers, (the round bit in the middle) ideally slightly higher than halfway but not much more.

I've also found that about 1 litre is the difference between not enough and too much, so try it with 1/2 litre firstly.

If it's the Bi Turbo engine then yes, the dipstick is to the rear right hand side of the engine looking from the front.

I usually check mine after it's been left for an hour or so, but still slightly warm, though the manual says your way is acceptable too. The level should be in between the top and bottom markers, (the round bit in the middle) ideally slightly higher than halfway but not much more.

I've also found that about 1 litre is the difference between not enough and too much, so try it with 1/2 litre firstly.

Mine is the N/A aspirated engine which is at the rear left when looking into the engine bay. I am right in thinking this is a dry sump engine aren't I. Either way the manual isn't very helpful regarding it.

I thought dipsticks were removed years ago, with the advent of electronic measurements

MB garages have the dipsticks still though

And at least this owner too.

Mine is the N/A aspirated engine which is at the rear left when looking into the engine bay. I am right in thinking this is a dry sump engine aren't I. Either way the manual isn't very helpful regarding it.

I don't think so - if it was you would have a oil tank to check the level

I don't think so - if it was you would have a oil tank to check the level

Yes you are right it is not, must have confused it with the SLS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom