SL advice needed .... (please)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Netrix

Car
Mercedes ML420 2008
I've been a member of this site for a while although not been "around" for a while. I currently drive an ML420 on an 08 plate, but I have the "mid-life bug" to get a sports car. I don't think the SLK will be big enough (although I haven't tried one yet) so I'm trawling the ads for an SL.
I have little knowledge re the SL apart from reading on various forums about the ABC repair/replacement costs on the earlier models.
The advice I'm after is what to do with my circa £18,000 budget. I have seen a 1 owner SL500 on an 08 plate with FMBSH and 38k on the clock. I'm assuming it's "facelift" as it has air scarf, SD input on the command unit etc. (so will this have issues with suspension and boot seals ?)
The other option, as I see it, is a newer SL350 or SL300 - probably a 2010 or 2011 model for similar price ?
My heart wants a MB V8 petrol but my head says there could be a few large bills ahead if I opt for the SL500.

Any advice gratefully received !!

Netrix

Hi Netrix,

The 2008 model you mention is on a change over year from the original R230 front end to the facelift, so not sure which you have seen early or later model.... I'm sure others will be along but "i think" not all SL500's came with ABC, it may have been an option. its certainly an option on the SL350. I've personally had 3 SL's, A 1999 SL320, 2005 SL500 and now a 2013 SL63 and my 500 had ABC, I also had to replace the boot seal and also the roof cables as this gave up just as I was selling it at a cost of £700 from a very good indie PCS. That being said the ABC never gave me any hassle. I have changed an ABC strut on my previous ML63 and they are circa 1k per corner.
I'd say go for the V8 but many will say there is not much difference between the 350 and the V8.. I disagree... The SL500 or above are IMO the ones to have. I also run a C Class with the 350 engine and in that size car its great, I can imagine in an SL it would be a bit slow(ish)
The 500's are also found to have more options as standard and ticked from new....
Good luck with your search, they are great cars and I think drive lovely....

All that I can add is , having recently hit the big 6-0 , and previously come close to buying a R107 some 20 years ago ( but the deal didn’t work out) I got into R129 ownership a couple of years back .

My neighbour has a R231 SL500 and we’ve compared notes with my 300SL-24 . Yes , the SL500 is a bit faster , but 20mpg vs close to 30mpg is a big difference.

50% difference in fuel economy is a big factor for me .

Having a foldable hardtop vs a removable hardtop and a powered soft top is a practical difference. My hardtop has been in my mum’s garage for 3 years , the soft top doesn’t leak .

I prefer the styling of the R129 , but every SL is a classic .

The 300-24 M104 is a screamer of an engine , rewarding the use of all the revs you can find , along with exploiting the 5 speed box : fun , fun , fun . The 500 has more torque but is gruff , and drinks more fuel .

Try both , and decide for yourself .

Hi Netrix,

I have one of the last of the pre facelift 08 500s, and you are correct about the air scarf being in the facelift model. If you have a hankering for a V8, don't sell yourself short; the V6 has similar figures on paper, but a different driving experience, being two cylinders short, and requiring more effort! As for ABC, the condition of the fluid is very important, which should be a clear red, not brown. It's been written that regular fluid changes keep the system healthier.

I was advised by my main dealer at a recent B service (34k miles) that the gearbox needs a one off oil and filter change at 37k, so worth checking if this has been done if you are interested in the 08 car you mention. I've also had a leak into the boot, spotted before any harm was done, which was the main seal that goes across the bottom of the rear windscreen, so if possible, it's worth challenge testing. Mine has always been garaged, so it came as an unwelcome surprise whilst on holiday in torrential rain for a short spell.

If @MicB picks up on this, he has had his 03 model from new, and has records of everything done to the car since then. Hopefully, he'll offer sage advice.

Good luck with the search, and please keep us posted.

Hi Netrix,

...........As for ABC, the condition of the fluid is very important, which should be a clear red, not brown. .........

I think you mean the ABC should be green. Brown is bad but not terrible, black is avoid!

ABC struts are no longer £1k a corner as you can buy reconditioned ones now and there is an Indie near me that I here can rebuild a strut. But that aside ABC is the main thing to think about. The roof is complex and can be expensive to fix as is the PSE pump in the boot. Rust wise the only place to look is the rear wheel arches, everywhere else is aluminium of magnesium. Check the boot rubber seal is water tight, but if not is an easy fix. Check that the passenger side air box has no water collecting in it, if there is then the water drain is blocked and the car may have electrical issues due to water leaking into the passenger footwell. Whilst your at it locate and check all the water drains are clear.

Just reread my post above, I think my brain has lost is capacity for correct grammar!

I think you mean the ABC should be green. Brown is bad but not terrible, black is avoid!
Whoops! You're quite right. I blame the hangover!

If you drive a 350 in manual/Tiptronic or what ever mercedes call it mode, they drive very well and fast, use it in full auto then its a nice gentle cruiser.

Hi Netrix,

I have one of the last of the pre facelift 08 500s, and you are correct about the air scarf being in the facelift model. If you have a hankering for a V8, don't sell yourself short; the V6 has similar figures on paper, but a different driving experience, being two cylinders short, and requiring more effort! As for ABC, the condition of the fluid is very important, which should be a clear red, not brown. It's been written that regular fluid changes keep the system healthier.

I was advised by my main dealer at a recent B service (34k miles) that the gearbox needs a one off oil and filter change at 37k, so worth checking if this has been done if you are interested in the 08 car you mention. I've also had a leak into the boot, spotted before any harm was done, which was the main seal that goes across the bottom of the rear windscreen, so if possible, it's worth challenge testing. Mine has always been garaged, so it came as an unwelcome surprise whilst on holiday in torrential rain for a short spell.

If @MicB picks up on this, he has had his 03 model from new, and has records of everything done to the car since then. Hopefully, he'll offer sage advice.

Good luck with the search, and please keep us posted.

Thanks for the mention

In my experience the R230 is the perfect Grand Tourer........aesthetically i prefer the pre '08 facelift but that is personal. These cars have had a "bad press" but in truth they are very reliable and there are no issues that cannot be pre-empted cheaply.......get to know what the issues might be and they effectively go away.......just like any model. I think the R230 benefits from being garaged more than most and definitely benefits from being used.
My car will complete its first 150,000 next month and it is driving as well as ever.
If the OP (or anyone) wants to PM me his/her email address I will happily send a copy of my diary, Running Costs spread sheet, Annual cost comparisons, Tyre and wheels used, Fuel consumption (getting better all the time), principal service, repair and maintenance grid.
A lot of information.

Mic

Don't get too caught up with fuel consumption as it very much depends on your amount and type of mileage. I run an R231 SL500 as my daily runner, yes expect 20mpg around town but I have found I get 30 mpg on long runs using motorways.

My previous car was a 2.2 4x4 diesel averaging between 26 and 37 mpg, I am spending less on the SL500 on fuel. This is partly because unleaded is cheaper to buy but also as a 2 seater I am no longer the family taxi driver so doing less miles!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

To put things into perspective my R129 SL500 costs about the same on fuel as our Vito :D They both average around 25mpg, less when cold or in town and more (up to about 30 mpg) on a long run if driven gently. If I used unleaded rather than V-Power in the SL then that would be cheaper. Road tax and insurance are pretty close, too.

My "kids leave home" car is my 2012 SL 350 R231 and I absolutely love it. I was hankering a V8 having had E55, Supercharged Range Rover, Maserati and still have my classic Mustang - but I have to say my SL350 delivers all that I want from an everyday car with a fuel bill I can stomach - (jesus I must be getting old ! )

My advice would to drive different versions - take your time, half the enjoy is in the chase ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom