SL audio install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
Thought I should start a new thread rather than spamming Jay's :D

The time has come for the SL to get some new sounds. The original stuff still works, but is showing it's age. The faux-wood Pioneer headunit is a throwback, and hard to setup; the speakers are original MB and are actually fairly clear and crisp, but the bass is sloppy and it all goes to pot as the volume goes up.

Hence it's out with the old, and in with:

Pioneer DEH-P88RS-II (+ CD-100II iPod adaptor)
Rainbow SLC365.NG 3-way components in the doors

Remove the rear seats (which I never use) and replace with a flat deck, under which hides an Alpine PDX 4.150 amp and a pair of 8" Rainbow Vanadium subs.

It went in Saturday afternoon, will be picking the car up at the weekend and then get some pics up. :rock:

Well, back home after picking it up, and it sounds absolutely amazing, sonically even better than the Civic's install, that cost nearly twice as much.

Top down on the motorway at 70, and everything is still cyrstal clear and audible. I'll get some pics tomorrow, it's a bit dark now to catch the full detail of the install.

Sounds good.....

Pics pics pics...

I'm thinking of adding some sounds to my ML, stil have some Rockford Fosgate stuff left over from when I use to me into my ICE.

:)

Old-school RF stuff is great, the newer stuff seems to have lost its way IMO. I've still got my first sub, an old RF Punch from 1997 that has simply soaked up abuse and kept going.

The SL required some very specific items (3-way comps for the doors, a digital amp for packaging and heat management), so it was easier to just go and buy new rather than trying to reuse existing items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom