SL or SLK ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

94mattda

SUPPORTER
Car
E220 Coupe, Porsche Boxster
Hello...... not been about for a bit as been busy but the time has come for a new car....

I am going to sell the Coupe and my Range Rover and buy either an SL or SLK....... but which is best... i have always wanted the SL but am thinking an SLK is more modern etc....

What would you choose....:D:D

Old style i like but i think it may cost me alot on maintenance so would prefer to go for a 1990 onwards i think

i guess its down to which style you like....pick that and then look for the best maintained example.
If its a high days and holidays car, i'd plump for the older sl....they just look so classy

Going to be my main car as i will sell the other two....

both the R170 and R171 are very small is you are looking at it being an only car. The SL's will be larger and potentially better.

SLK,s do have smaller engines, so they will be more economical, but I would think insurances costs will be similar.

you don't get a folding metal roof in SL's until you get to the R230 model.

Best go have a look at both models, and maybe take some out for a drive. That will probably be the best way to choose I guess.

I have had R170 and R171,'s but never any SL's. The R171 is dynamically superior to any R170, but the boot is not as useful when the roof is left up.

SLK might be a bit cramped compared to what you are used to.
The looks of the old SLK are not as nice as looks of old SLs, imho - I feel the boxy pre-facelift SLK is very dated, whereas older SLs have a more elegant timeless/classic look

R129 SL is modern enough but still cheap relative to the R230 SL. The SLK is a bit girly and the SL has larger engines which may be more to your taste. A 129 500 is what you want

SL.

I was teaching at a seminar the other week, and the following all went into the boot:

PC projector in case (a big old one ;))
projector screen
projector table
briefcase
box of files
etc.

It's a surprisingly practical car, and most have the bonus of two small back seats which can be handy for occasional use. Our kids love them, and gave my parents a lift once (mum in the back).

Driven sensibly on a long run I get high 20s MPG which I think is pretty good for a 5 litre V8. Stop/start driving is another matter (it does weigh almost 2 tonnes), but I don't do much of that in it.

Get an SL! I want to drive it! :D

SLK a bit girly for you dan me thinks.....

R129 SL500 - no question.

3185083692_247c1efa7a_b.jpg

I bought an immaculate although slightly unusual colour r129, 1999 with 36200 miles and full service history 6 weeks ago. Although under warranty I spent £100 sorting out a couple of minor issues that I just wanted done to get it perfect and I didn’t want a debate. Have achieved between 17 and 26 dependent upon driving conditions, have had a couple of long runs and it is incredible.
When you look back at the choices the original owner would have had before making the decision to buy an SL, presumably F360 or 911 would have been the only 2 in the price bracket, you realise you are buying a supercar for peanuts. Whilst not a sports car as such the straight line speed once inertia is removed is phenomenal, handling more than adequate, ride excellent and build quality seems pretty bomb proof to me.
I quite often drive home past the supermarket in my other car-a truly excellent 530d, I really am very lucky to have the cars I do-and drive the 5 miles back in the SL to do some shopping just for the sheer thrill of driving it.
I have a feeling good ones, reasonable mileage and well maintained are probably near to depreciation proof now and probably represent a great buy.
Having wanted one of these for years my only regret is waiting so long before buying one but I did look at 10 or so other examples in 3 months before committing because there is a lot of tat about and I bought purely on history, service record and condition and as I probably won't sell, the colour which I rather like but appreciate might put others off wasn't really a factor other than when I haggled over the price.

SL.

I was teaching at a seminar the other week, and the following all went into the boot:

projector screen
projector table
briefcase
box of files
etc.

I picked up the parts washer for my garage in the SL. In the summer time with the roof down, it's amazing what you can transport :D

SL for sure, its an absolute classic and I want another one!

I covered 50k miles in mine over 4 years and loved every second of it.

If you get one with a panoramic roof, its like owning two totally different cars, one soft top for the summer and a warm, comfy airy coupe for the winter.

Last edited:
SL.

projector screen
projector table
briefcase
box of files
etc.

That's nothing. I've taken my other half away for the weekend in my 129!

My Dad had the old shape SLK from new back when and kept it 7 years only swapping for a new shape SL500

The SLK did several trips to Europe with luggage and even my dads bike in the boot. With the roof up the boot is a good size.

I would be tempted to go the SLK route asd parts / issues I would think ne less and you could get a newer car. The SL's are nice but I would think finding a nice one would be over your budget and that would annoy me.

The SLK did 30mpg easy and in black looked more manly.... :)

sidea.jpg

inside-1.jpg

slkfront.jpg

I've owned a couple of MX5's , Z3 and a 330 convertible and you CAN get an awful lot of stuff in these cars you learn to pack well !! I even had acroprocs (to hold up a beam?) in the MX5 with the roof down... :)

Dads new weekend toy that the SLK was sold for...

DSCF4409.jpg

You guys make me smile knocking the SLK's....

I had two MX5's guess you knock them also...hairdressers car and all that. Have you ever driven one?

Janner that picture of the SL is lovely but I suspect something like that with the AMG kit etc will be way over the budget of the op.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom