SL or SLK ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, I learned to drive in one, but the MX-5 and SLK are very very different beasts.

The MX-5 has features that redeem it against the "hairdresser" aspect. Cheap, no frills, fun handling, enough power to enjoy yourself. It's a proper little sports car.

I'm not so sure the SLK has what it takes to do the same.

Last edited:
I'm going to go against the grain here.

SL & SLK are different classes of car, kind of E Vs S class debate.

SL is a nice car, for sure, but expensive to buy, run, maintain and insure.

SLK is also a nice car, as quick, 55, or nearly as quick, 350. And cheaper overall.

SL is bigger, so more useful as an everyday car, but the SLK boot is OK, even with the roof down.

I think the SLK looks more modern and elegant, even if the jealous 2/6 barbers resent successful hairdressers:)

3334571723_38b6db718a.jpg

3335408106_db80061e8c.jpg

I'm guessing here, but my understanding is that it's a choice between R129 & R170...hence some of the comparisons you've outlined might not necessarily apply.

Last edited:
I agree you cannot really compare the SL and SLK as they are / were generally at different levels in terms of the range / costs.

The OP however is looking at the earlier model possibly pre facelifted? now for my money assuming around 7K I would rather buy a SLK than an SL at that price.

My dads SLK in the seven years he had it needed servicing and rear tyres. Thats it. I would just worry about a 7K SL

SL for sure, its an absolute classic and I want another one!

I covered 50k miles in mine over 4 years and loved every second of it.

If you get one with a panoramic roof, its like owning two totally different cars, one soft top for the summer and a warm, comfy airy coupe for the winter.
I found a panoramic roof for mine on eBay in February. Got it for a song, too. The vendor's SL600, same colour as mine, had been in the dealership for work to the adaptive damping (what else?) While in, there was a fire in the workshop which destroyed his car and a few others. He got a replacement SL500 on the garage's insurance and the roof was surplus as it was a different colour. Result.

I'm not a roof-down kind of guy, so a SL 500 would be on my radar.
But, if you could find a SLK 32 AMG for similar money, then that would tempt me.
It's a tough decisions, drive both, think about what you want from your car, buy one, post some pics :)

I travelled all over Europe in an SLK. All up about 5,500km in 4 weeks.

I travel with a lot of luggage because I have to carry summer and winter clothing for various sectors in the travel, I have to carry electronics and all of it fit in the trunk. Plus all of the books and souvenirs I bought. No problems.

You guys make me smile knocking the SLK's....

I had two MX5's guess you knock them also...hairdressers car and all that. Have you ever driven one?

R170s are dull to drive whereas an MX-5 is sublime. I still wouldn't buy one though - or a Boxster.

SLK

Definately SLK. 30mg on ave and great fun car. Who cares about the boot space, golf trolley and shopping fits well enough. More than sufficient room for a comfortable drive either short or long distance. Newer models have a real classy look and style.

SLs are also a gorgeous car. The SLK's big brother so to speak. A lot less mpg but surely the decision is based on what you are looking from a car as both are very different in many respects.

I am really undecided still... i like both....more swayed towards the SL as its a bigger car and i have always liked what i call "retro proper" cars.......So we shall see. Got to sell the other two first...with those gone and a little extra cash a budget of around 4 - 5k should be about my limit....

Thankyou for all the pics and comments....i shall let you know when i get one.....

£4- 5K limit has to be SLK

That money in an SL would not buy a nice one and the first bill would have you selling body parts sorry.

It always irks me when the MX-5 is described a 'hairdressers' car'. It's not difficult to understand that it's one of the best-handling cars of all-time, and a superb enthusiasts' car is it?

Can I have the Range Rover please? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom