SL prices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The R129 looks better with the hard top fitted than with the hood up - I'm one of the few who think the angular standard top suits it more than the slightly rounded panoramic one. It's lighter inside with the hard top on, there's better visibility, and of course you have a heated rear screen (albeit rather a weak one!). But fundamentally the car is a roadster and I very rarely take mine out nowadays unless I expect to have the roof down.
Hi, Just joined and was looking for any advice on replacing the 3 rear windows on the hood of a R129 SL-Thanks

The R230 has gained a bad press on Forum because of the few that have had expensive problems. Bad press gets repeated by the uninformed and repeated again by the uninformed and again and again.

I'm guessing you have a smaller-engined variant. Which engine do you have in yours?

With time, the roof seals leak on all of them and need replacing. The pneumatic pumps can fail (£600 new), often because of water ingress in the boot from the roof seals. With the V8s, ABC pumps and struts wear out and need replacing; a complete overhaul can cost several thousand pounds. The SBC units also need attention eventually, though they are relatively cheap to do nowadays.

The 'bad press' is all true, I'm afraid, but not always justified; they are complex cars, the V8s particularly so with the ABC, and were pretty expensive when new. What some owners fail to realise until it is too late is that such cars can be bought cheaply later in their lives, but will have high maintenance costs throughout those lives if they're properly looked after.

My SL500, on 113K miles, had a new ABC pump and front struts and a new SBC unit not long before I bought it. It's just going in to Terry Gates (tomorrow) for roof seals, rear subframe and gearbox mounts and the rear flexible coupling on the propshaft.

I'm guessing you have a smaller-engined variant. Which engine do you have in yours?

With time, the roof seals leak on all of them and need replacing. The pneumatic pumps can fail (£600 new), often because of water ingress in the boot from the roof seals. With the V8s, ABC pumps and struts wear out and need replacing; a complete overhaul can cost several thousand pounds. The SBC units also need attention eventually, though they are relatively cheap to do nowadays.

The 'bad press' is all true, I'm afraid, but not always justified; they are complex cars, the V8s particularly so with the ABC, and were pretty expensive when new. What some owners fail to realise until it is too late is that such cars can be bought cheaply later in their lives, but will have high maintenance costs throughout those lives if they're properly looked after.

My SL500, on 113K miles, had a new ABC pump and front struts and a new SBC unit not long before I bought it. It's just going in to Terry Gates (tomorrow) for roof seals, rear subframe and gearbox mounts and the rear flexible coupling on the propshaft.
MicB has owned his SL500 from new (2003) so he has a lot more experience of running costs than the vast majority of owners, I'm guessing his car must be somewhere near 160k miles by now.

Yes, so he said. I'm guessing he has no ABC, but if he's still on the original roof seals, and the boot is dry, it will be almost miraculous. SBC failure is down to luck; I've had several W211s with it, and never had a problem, though one had a replacement unit fitted.

Yes, so he said. I'm guessing he has no ABC, but if he's still on the original roof seals, and the boot is dry, it will be almost miraculous. SBC failure is down to luck; I've had several W211s with it, and never had a problem, though one had a replacement unit fitted.
It's an SL500 so does have ABC. Looks like MicB hasn't been on the forum since June 2018 so we could have a bit of a wait for any responses.

Hadn't noticed the date, or the car. Doh!

If he's managed 160K without needing major work to the ABC, that too is a miracle. I wonder, is there anybody else on here with an R230 that has done anything like that?

Hadn't noticed the date, or the car. Doh!

If he's managed 160K without needing major work to the ABC, that too is a miracle. I wonder, is there anybody else on here with an R230 that has done anything like that?
I believe that he has had work done on ABC, MicB emailed a list to me of all the work that has been done on his car and I will take a look at it tomorrow. He has kept very detailed logs on all work and expenses throughout his ownership.

I assume by all the bad press you're referring to the V8's as I've just enjoyed the first year of ownership of my R230 SL350 and touch wood it's been the most reliable and cost free car I've had in many years outside of the Passat estate I owned for 10 years. I know it doesn't have the bragging rights of a 500 or one of the AMG models aside but the only bill I've had has been for the seal on the gearbox loom going and letting oil up to the gearbox ECU. I had the gearbox flushed and oil and filter replaced while they were doing it, the ECU just needed cleaning out and was fine, the bill was £335. It hasn't used a drop of oil, recently passed it's MOT with no advisories and whilst I look after it I also drive it fairly hard, a lot harder than I see most SL's being driven, and I love it especially as I don't drive along wondering if the ABC is going to be on the ground when I go back to it.

I do actually wonder if the V8's with higher mileage have been less prone to problems with the ABC because they're in regular use? Just a theory as when I have looked at some and checked the MOT history they generally tend to have less failures/advisories for suspension leaks than some of the lower mileage ones, or perhaps it's because you can't see the bills they've had?:)

As I said, the 'bad press' isn't really justified; (relatively) high running costs go with complex, expensive cars. All the things I've mentioned are specific areas that are known to give trouble on the R230, and the ABC is easily the most expensive to sort out.

The roof seals get tired and leak on all of them. It's an age- rather than a mileage-related occurrence, so if your 2003 car's boot is dry after it has sat outdoors on a rainy day, they've been done.

I haven't mentioned the oil wicking up the gearbox ECU loom into the ECU, which is a known but not very common fault, or the standard MB stuff like rusting rear brake pipes.

If you prize reliability above all, and want a 'premium' product, buy a Lexus. If you just want very reliable transport, buy something from the Far East.

I've not had any of those...

As I said, the 'bad press' isn't really justified; (relatively) high running costs go with complex, expensive cars. ...........

and, people only tend to post when they have problems.....

A quick look at the number of SL's still on the road, and in remarkable condition, shows that there's nowt fatal

It's a serious mistake to generalise about the condition and reliability of 15 or 25 year old cars.

They aren't "all the same." And, in the case of SL's, there are a significant number of well-maintained & loved cars out there.

I've always wondered why ABC on the R230 is so much more troublesome than ADS on the R129. I don't think I've ever heard of strut, valve or pump failure on an R129 ... just the spheres (accumulators) which definitely have a limited lifespan but aren't too expensive to replace, and very occasionally issues with the control module (typically the oldest ADS I cars).

I've owned a 96 SL500 for about 16 years now, and looked, on and off, for years at R230s. The penultimate time I was serious about buying one (about 5 years ago), I ended buying another R129, a 98 SL500 Special Edition. I loved the designo paint and the tighter feel, but three years later, I saw a stunning looking, low mileage R230, which I had to have! Although my older 129 had much higher mileage, it was better made than the later one, which I then sold.

So where does that leave me with the 96 SL? It's been a fabulous car and I've spent lots on it in maintenance or as needed over the years (genuine MB cats, gearbox overhaul etc etc), and last year I had to replace a power steering pressurised pipe at over £800. It wants some cosmetics such as wheel refurb, a couple a paint bits and bobs, but its looks belie the 156k miles it's done, and I would take it anywhere tomorrow. Driving as it should, with a panoramic roof and a two inch thick folder of receipts and service history, what's it worth? Probably next to nothing, which is why I've kept it all these years, but we pay for their upkeep one way or another, so as has been said, buy on condition and history. Don't let high mileage put you off, especially if someone else has paid for the inevitable jobs.

I've owned a 96 SL500 for about 16 years now

I'm very similar - have had my '97 SL500 for 15 years. I also looked at R230s but never upgraded in the end. The only more modern replacement I'd consider now would be an SLK55, but really the R129 is still an excellent car so no plans to change.

Reactions: MD5
I'm very similar - have had my '97 SL500 for 15 years. I also looked at R230s but never upgraded in the end. The only more modern replacement I'd consider now would be an SLK55, but really the R129 is still an excellent car so no plans to change.
You're probably like me, Bill, in that I never really thought of the 230 as being an upgrade, what with comparing materials in newer cars etc, but it's a different driving experience, which I love, and appreciate where advances have been made. I know I'll have all the joys of ABC etc to look forward to, and I've already replaced one seal on an 08 car, but we hopefully go in with our eyes open. I'm still just as happy with my old SL though!

I've always wondered why ABC on the R230 is so much more troublesome than ADS on the R129. I don't think I've ever heard of strut, valve or pump failure on an R129 ... just the spheres (accumulators) which definitely have a limited lifespan but aren't too expensive to replace, and very occasionally issues with the control module (typically the oldest ADS I cars).

The 129's ADS is pretty basic by comparison; the Citroen-style spheres and struts assist the main springs to control levelling, and the dampers are electronically adjusted but otherwise normal. It's not subject to anything like the complexity and pressures that the ABC system is.

The 129's ADS is pretty basic by comparison; the Citroen-style spheres and struts assist the main springs to control levelling, and the dampers are electronically adjusted but otherwise normal. It's not subject to anything like the complexity and pressures that the ABC system is.

That sounds good to me! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom