SL prices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've always wondered why ABC on the R230 is so much more troublesome than ADS on the R129. I don't think I've ever heard of strut, valve or pump failure on an R129 ... just the spheres (accumulators) which definitely have a limited lifespan but aren't too expensive to replace, and very occasionally issues with the control module (typically the oldest ADS I cars).
Reading forums it appears that airmatic is as troublesome as ABC but doesn't get as much comment for some reason. The other issue on the R230 is the roof seals but I note that R231 roof seals are just starting to be reported so again not a unique issue to the R230.

Overlooking the fact that Airmatic and the 129's ADS are different systems, I wonder if the lack of coverage is because Airmatic is generally a lot cheaper to fix when it breaks, and tends to fail more gradually?

Last edited:
Overlooking the fact that Airmatic and the 129's ADS are different systems, I wonder if the lack of coverage is because Airmatic is generally a lot cheaper to fix when it breaks, and tends to fail more gradually?
I've seen costs comparable to ABC costs to fix airmatic systems.

I'm sure there are, under the appropriate circumstances. There's not so much of a margin if you're changing struts, for example, but basics such as a tired compressor is a lot easier and cheaper to put right.

As I said, the 'bad press' isn't really justified; (relatively) high running costs go with complex, expensive cars. All the things I've mentioned are specific areas that are known to give trouble on the R230, and the ABC is easily the most expensive to sort out.

The roof seals get tired and leak on all of them. It's an age- rather than a mileage-related occurrence, so if your 2003 car's boot is dry after it has sat outdoors on a rainy day, they've been done.

I haven't mentioned the oil wicking up the gearbox ECU loom into the ECU, which is a known but not very common fault, or the standard MB stuff like rusting rear brake pipes.

If you prize reliability above all, and want a 'premium' product, buy a Lexus. If you just want very reliable transport, buy something from the Far East.

I've not had any of those...
Ah ha, I read your post as 'the bad press is all true I'm afraid' or words to that effect, my apologies for misunderstanding, I do not prize reliability above all else it had just been a blissful break from the considerable amount of money I threw at my R129.
That said I spoke too soon, how does the saying go "Oh lord help me to keep my big mouth shut"! returning from a friends today, a trip of only 10 - 12 miles my gear shifting problems returned after 5 or 6 weeks of bliss. Now knowing where the gearbox ECU is I pulled it out and split it apart and not a hint of oil this time so at least the new seal appears to have done its job and I've come to the conclusion that it's the TPS. The gearbox will change on the stick but there's a delay of several seconds between pushing the accelerator down and the engine picking up regardless of which gear it's in. So another £168 added to the running costs but still not excessive for 12 months including the first £335, most of which would have been needed anyway as the gearbox was almost due for an oil and filter change anyway, although I would prefer the trend not to continue! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom