SL R129 Engine Sound Proofer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sylvo

Car
Mercedes SL 280 R129
Can anyone recommend sound proofing for under the bonnet and where to source. The car is in great condition but due to age the under bonnet sound proofing is starting to deteriorate and I would like to reinstate as am starting to detail the engine bay etc. I am not worried about original stuff, happy to cut and paste as required, but would prefer suggestions on products, have looked at so many and not sure what is good or bad.

Many thanks for any advice.

As above not expensive from the dealer. If I remember correctly a new one for our 124 was 50-60 pounds. Allegedly the genuine ones are fire retardant.

As above I would get one from M-B. Mine started to crumble a few years back ... looked like getting the old one off was going to be a pain so I had it replaced at the same time as the hood windows.

OEM from the dealer lasts about 5 to 6 years and back to square one. Look on the USA Merc forums, lots of companys there that supply much better products.

google amazon or ebay.

I got mine recently from the SL Shop along with all the fixers and glue for a total of £128.15 delivered

They claim better than OEM and was cheaper also

OEM from the dealer lasts about 5 to 6 years and back to square one. Look on the USA Merc forums, lots of companys there that supply much better products.

google amazon or ebay.

My original one lasted 16 years ... was replaced 4 years ago.

Thanks

Many thanks guys, am going the SL shop route...never knew about it before...can feel the wallet draining already with stuff I have looked at :D

The clips that hold the pad at the front of the bonnet *can* be removed and replaced if you are both careful and lucky. They are available from Merc A201 990 02 92 / (90 51) for 1.10 ea + VAT before any discounts if you are not.

My underbonnet insulation was replaced by the PO but the garage he employed did a crap job of cleaning down the old glue and insulation, so the pad is detaching and requires sorting.

Alternatives to Trimfix include 3M Neoprene adhesive or certain types of contact cement. The hardest part is aligning the new insulation whilst it is being stuck in place. You really need a helper by all accounts.

aDpt35Wn

IR1lS4gL

Done mine last year on my own quite a easy job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom