SL R129 steering wheel on W124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hatty

Car
1994 e220 convertible
Is it possible to fit a steering wheel from an R reg facelift Sl R129 straight on to a 1994 E220 W124?

I don't know but I have a spare facelift r129 Steering wheel if you want to try.

Be aware the allen socket headed bolt that holds the steering wheel on is often VERY tight---you are talking a good quality hex socket and a very long breaker bar here !! Windscreens have been broken over this in the past--- you have been warned. ;)

Hi Mate,

Ive taken this pic to show you from a member DolphinN Tech who has a current thread running for his motor. I hope he doesnt mind! :)

Its a 129 with a wheel that would certainly fit a 124. What 129 have you got? Is it a face lift or a pre?

The year/model in actual fact may not matter actually.

Ive fitted a W202 wheel to my 124 coupe. All i had to do is swap the internals from my original wheel to the new one.

Specifics would include the contact ring behind the wheel, and the horn assembly. Just a matter of unbolting torx screws and unclipping the contact ring.

It really is a simple job.

Grober is right though, the nut has got some some kind of thread lock on it and if it hasnt been removed before it can be on very tightly. Large breaker bar to give you correct leverage from the centre and the correct torx bit (cant remember the exact bit number but its in its 30's) will do the trick.

so yes IMO yes the 129 wheel will fit. :thumb:

IMAG0096.jpg

EDIT: just read, you mentioned its for a face lift already! :doh:

Even so im certain it can be done.

does the one you have look like this? thats a serious looking wheel!

139383d1187849411-r129-photos-sl2.jpg

Last edited:
i think all the wheels will fit as my 1997 got a silver arrows 2001 one which is like the one on your photo and it fitted perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom