SL R230 Dension AVR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
I recently ordered a Dension 500 and their AVR so I could watch ipod videos on my COMAND screen. I had every intention of purchasing the kit here in the UK from Comand Online but in the end I unexpectedly won an auction on eBay for a brand new GW 500 and the same person (from Hungary) was able to sell me the AVR at a great price too.

So far so good.

Yesterday evening (as some will know from another thread) I set about getting my COMAND unit out to fit the AVR. Having finally got it out I was disappointed to find two things...

1. Despite Dension saying to use what they call their 'standard' harness on an SL, there is no such connector on my NTG1 unit. Fortunately they also supply a universal harness I would have been able to use even though that would have involved purchasing an extra socket or splicing into the cars existing wiring.

2. There is no green (or any other colour) FAKRA video connector anywhere on the head unit or anywhere else in the car (that I can find).

This of course brought the installation of the AVR to a crashing halt.

So, why do I feel cheated by them?

Well, I didn't just jump at this unit on an impulse buy. I spent some time in the last few months studying the various units available and went with the Dension in the end because of the video capability and because they appear to be the best supported in terms of number of dealers and experts etc.

I had checked (and have since re-checked) over and over again their compatibility tables and they show that their AVR model AVRG5M1 is designed to work with the SL from 2005 onwards. They don't state anywhere that the car must have anything else fitted or warn that it won't work on some units. They just blanket state, 2005 onwards NTG1 for the SL.

http://www.dension.com/sites/default/files/avr_compatibility_table.pdf

I don't believe there is anything unusual or special about my SL. I believe it to be a perfectly normal one for 2007 and so I really don't understand why a manufacturer like Dension can't provide correct information.

I'm sure some will think I'm just moaning (again) but surely some at least would agree this is a valid moan :) It's not unreasonable is it to expect manufacturers and suppliers of equipment to have their information in order?

Anyone want a Dension AVR? :)

I am pretty sure i read somewhere that Dension or any unit cannot get ipod videos to work through the NTG1 comand screen. I was also under the impression that AVR is the expansion kit which allows you to add additional screen to the rear of the car.

I have however seen videos (on you tube) of Ipod videos being played via dension kit but not sure how they acheived this.

I may be wrong in above but this is the information i have been told with regards to my NTG1 on W211

Dave-Why don't you contact Alfie-He's the expert on Comand

Should have done a bit of research first. It is rare to find a NTG1 with the green fakra input. They install the one with green fakra when the car is specced with a tv tuner.

Should have done a bit of research first. It is rare to find a NTG1 with the green fakra input. They install the one with green fakra when the car is specced with a tv tuner.

I saw burgers other post on this, guess that bit of info was on the last page as I get the impression he did loads before putting screw to driver:(

Isnt there anyone who can open NTG1 and insert this green Fakra input?:dk::dk:

That's a bit below the belt. I did tons of research including asking questions on here and other forums. No one told me it wouldn't work and no one even suggested it was likely my NTG1 wouldn't have a video connector. I therefore believed what Dension state in their literature - which was also research.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/96880-sl350-r230-ipod-solutions.html

Regards,

Last edited:
I am pretty sure i read somewhere that Dension or any unit cannot get ipod videos to work through the NTG1 comand screen. I was also under the impression that AVR is the expansion kit which allows you to add additional screen to the rear of the car.

I have however seen videos (on you tube) of Ipod videos being played via dension kit but not sure how they acheived this.

I may be wrong in above but this is the information i have been told with regards to my NTG1 on W211

Hey Amo.

Just a couple of points here. The Dension AVR absolutely will play videos on an NTG1 screen providing there is a FAKRA video connector on the NTG1. As you state, and as its function, it is an Audio Video Router and so if you have rear screens as well and use other video inputs to it, you can split viewing front/rear etc. It also enables a rear view camera etc. In its simplest guise however it connects to the GW500 and the NTG1/2 (Different model numbers) and enables the playing of ipod videos on the main screen.

Regards,

Would it work if you did carry-out the NTG2.5 upgrade you suggested on the other thread was excessive? If so, perhaps this is what will nudge you to get this done...?

I don't know much about cars, but from my experience with computer hardware and software, having the latest version of everything usually helps...?

Would it work if you did carry-out the NTG2.5 upgrade you suggested on the other thread was excessive? If so, perhaps this is what will nudge you to get this done...?

I don't know much about cars, but from my experience with computer hardware and software, having the latest version of everything usually helps...?

I believe if I did the upgrade to NTG2.5 that I could then use the native ipod interface but I'm not sure if this would give me ipod video. However, at this moment in time funds simply wouldn't permit such an upgrade. That's partly why I was so careful about choosing the kit I did.

It's another lesson learnt of course, but it would be nice for them not to be so expensive :) At least I might be able to help others from making the same mistakes.

NTG2.5 is awesome peice of kit without a doubt but its shame to rip out soo much from the car (Audio Gateway, Satnav drive the actual unit and the wiring loom, phone wiring, Viseeo etc etc) all of this can be sold for good money and there are people out there who would pay the price as well. I saw NTG2.5 from a UK based guy on ebay for £800 with 1 dvd but that will also require the wiring harness etc which is another £150 or so.

Its just doesnt make sense to rip out all this working kit and installing new kit just to have video functionality.

I believe if I did the upgrade to NTG2.5 that I could then use the native ipod interface but I'm not sure if this would give me ipod video. However, at this moment in time funds simply wouldn't permit such an upgrade. That's partly why I was so careful about choosing the kit I did.

It's another lesson learnt of course, but it would be nice for them not to be so expensive :) At least I might be able to help others from making the same mistakes.

MB have a Video interface kit for NTG2.5 which plays videos etc as well.

Why not sell the Dension kit? They sell for good price on Ebay and sell like hot cakes. Then you could simply get yourself MB Ipod kit @ £180 from Partsunited via Dealer

MB have a Video interface kit for NTG2.5 which plays videos etc as well.

Why not sell the Dension kit? They sell for good price on Ebay and sell like hot cakes. Then you could simply get yourself MB Ipod kit @ £180 from Partsunited via Dealer

But I'd still have to do the NTG2.5 upgrade for that to work. Would love to do it, but funds just wouldn't allow that right now.

Regards,

Selling the NTG1/AGW/NAV/Dension 500/AVR will deffo allow the funds lol

Just an idea, I wasnt going to do it but its too much work for too little gain so opted against it

I received a great reply from Dension tech support...

Dear Customer,

If your Head Unit doesn't have video input you can control your AVR via the buttons of your HU but the video signal can appear only on RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment). If you can't accept this fact you can ask refund from your Dension reseller.

Best regards,

Dension Support Team

This of course proves beyond any doubt that they have very little idea about the cars they are selling their units for. 2007 Mercedes SL with rear seat entertainment? Right :)

In hindesight, which of course is always very easy, I should have removed my comand system before ordering the parts (instead of relying on the info published by Dension).

However, I may have found a solution with a video gateway for NTG1's without FAKRA connectors. I'm currently verifying I've understood the info correctly from the foreign site, but if it is correct, this could be the solution. I'll post back when I learn more.

Regards,

I received a great reply from Dension tech support...

2007 Mercedes SL with rear seat entertainment? Right :)

You might have leprechauns in the back? :crazy:

Pretty priceless really. I don't think it unreasonable that if you sell kit for a particular car that it should work with the particular car.

However, I may have found a solution with a video gateway for NTG1's without FAKRA connectors. I'm currently verifying I've understood the info correctly from the foreign site, but if it is correct, this could be the solution. I'll post back when I learn more.

Regards,

I personally would love to hear more on this

OK, the interface I've found is available from a number of different suppliers. I've emailed one in the Netherlands for more info but I'm still waiting on a response. In the mean time I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has any experience of them.

I link to the following site simply because it is the easiest to follow. Their prices however are by a wide margin the most expensive I've found. They have the NTG1 SL unit at $600 and yet I've seen it on other sites for less than $300 or Euros.

MERCEDES-BENZ NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

The reason I believe these units will work for me is because they don't require a FAKRA connector at all. Instead you open up the unit and install a new circuit board they give you. From instructions I've been able to read so far it should be as simple as unplugging a ribbon cable, and then connecting in their board. This is then connected to their hub where you can plug in a number of video sources. Sources can be switched either with an included remote control or through voltage sensing such as an iPod interface or a reversing camera etc. Such a unit would also make it possible to install a digital TV module etc.

I'll continue with my research but this to me seems to be the only way I can find to get video into an NTG1 that doesn't have a FAKRA connector.

Regards,

Edit: You have a SL so no good to you. :doh:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom