SL R230 Dension AVR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Rob,

I have considered sun visor monitors but I don't think they'd work well in the SL because of the rake of the screen and how close one sits to the sun visors when they're swung down to be vertical.

Glad you got 480 line monitors... the increased resolution makes a huge difference to my eyes.

I honestly have no idea how I'm going progress this at the moment.

Hope your AVR install goes OK, mine functions very well if only I had the right monitor solution to feed it to :)

Regards,

Finally

Finally I have a solution I'm happy with... Remember please this is so we can watch videos etc. when parked up somewhere, like in the channel tunnel for half an hour. It's not so I can have video on the move because apart from the fact it's illegal, I tried it once and even out of the corner of an eye it's unbelievably distracting... Stupid.

Anyway, after much deliberation I fabricated a bracket that slots into the DVD slot on the COMAND head unit (without making it believe I'm trying to insert a DVD)... I ran an extra power cable from the cigar lighter and the video from the AVR in the bin behind the passenger seat. Both power and video have in-line connectors in the passenger footwell. So, when I want video from my iphone I simply grab the screen from the rear bin, slot it into place, plug in the power and video, select a video from the iphone and hey presto :)

finalvideoscreen01.jpg

finalvideoscreen02.jpg

finalvideoscreen03.jpg

I'm happy with the end result. It's very stable and doesn't look totally out of place to me. With the iphone TV-Out capable browser and some other TV-Out apps it's almost like having an in car PC.

Regards,

OK, the interface I've found is available from a number of different suppliers. I've emailed one in the Netherlands for more info but I'm still waiting on a response. In the mean time I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has any experience of them.

I link to the following site simply because it is the easiest to follow. Their prices however are by a wide margin the most expensive I've found. They have the NTG1 SL unit at $600 and yet I've seen it on other sites for less than $300 or Euros.

MERCEDES-BENZ NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

The reason I believe these units will work for me is because they don't require a FAKRA connector at all. Instead you open up the unit and install a new circuit board they give you. From instructions I've been able to read so far it should be as simple as unplugging a ribbon cable, and then connecting in their board. This is then connected to their hub where you can plug in a number of video sources. Sources can be switched either with an included remote control or through voltage sensing such as an iPod interface or a reversing camera etc. Such a unit would also make it possible to install a digital TV module etc.

I'll continue with my research but this to me seems to be the only way I can find to get video into an NTG1 that doesn't have a FAKRA connector.

Regards,

Its the same as a Alpine unit supplied by braybrooks, I had one installed a while back good bit of kit but comes with a few niggles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom