SL R230 Front suspension creaking / squeaking, who can help!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A1EK

Car
Mercedes SL 3.7L AMG Speedshift - (Past: CLK 230, 190E, W201, W203)
I have the infamous 'creaking / squeaking' on my nearside front suspension when I go over any bumps.

This has come and gone in the passed, but recently has remained for some number of weeks. I have removed the wheel and sprayed every joint and bush that I can access with silicon spray to no avail. I think it sounds like its nearer the top possible the coil but its so hard to tell? I have posted some videos to possibly help identify.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

P.S the track rod end has just been replaced so this rules that out.

Can anyone help?

My e class w211 has just started making the same noises, so will be very interested to read the responses.

John

My W211 had this recently, sounded exactly like the videos. It turned out it was the bottom ball joint, the one pressed into the hub. Mine had a little bit of play as well so it was easier to identify the issue using a pry bar. Relatively inexpensive to replace DIY but you will need the removal/installation tool.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

A1EK
I believe this first picture is a diagram of your front suspension, it's similarish to my W211. Item 20 was the suspect on my car.
The 2nd picture is the tool and location on a w211.
I see you're from Glasgow, you're welcome to borrow my tool should you wish to do this yourself...
65fe739326b24316f241673e4a8fd948.gif
3158199254a37bf1ae373dee6d833449.jpg

Certainly sounds like a dry/worn ball joint!

Any of the balljoints can squeak in my experience. On early r230 the most annoying one is the one on the end of the upper arm. Later cars are a three bolt affair and easy. The early cars the balljoint is all in one with the arm. Mercedes no longer supply the arm with the balljoint complete - you have to buy the later arm and the balljoint seperately. Annoyingly expensive and fiddly job too.

Certainly sounds like a dry/worn ball joint!
I wonder if I can somehow lubricate this for a while to see if this helps? I will try again with the silicon spray.

stevieno12000 thanks so much for the advise and kind offer of the tool, really kind.
P.S. I am in Bearsden near Canniesburn toll

Thanks
Alex

I wonder if I can somehow lubricate this for a while to see if this helps? I will try again with the silicon spray.
I think its probably beyond that. Its likely to involve a fairly vital component in the front suspension/steering mechanism and should be replaced ASAP I would advise against driving the car at any speed till its repaired

Noted, I am fairly sure it is a dry joint. Car has just had an MOT and no movement found. I commute from Glasgow to Warwick weekly so I drive 6 hours straight with no concerns.

Noted, I am fairly sure it is a dry joint. Car has just had an MOT and no movement found. I commute from Glasgow to Warwick weekly so I drive 6 hours straight with no concerns.
Similar to me. My car passed its MOT the first week of January. 2 weeks later it sounded like a rusty old Silver Cross pram. I also had a slight brake pull when the pedal was gently stabbed. It turned out to be the ball joint. 2 weeks previous, no noise or play.
I'm in Kilbarchan, not too far if you need to borrow the tool...

I took some photos of the two ball joints on my car that I believe one may be bad, what do you think? the track rod end nearest the camera I only just replaced so its not this.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 13.29.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 13.29.24.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 13.29.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 13.29.09.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 19
There are 4 B/Js the top arm 205 the front link 140 the track rod end -not shown but the crucial one is item 20 in the diagram- the one that connects the suspension arm [ with the strut attached to it] to the hub upright- If it fails the front suspension will collapse
65fe739326b24316f241673e4a8fd948.gif

My Control Arm Spring Links were replaced under warranty due to squeaky suspension so might be worth checking.

The second picture depicts one of the drop links [spring links] from the anti roll bar end to the suspension arm. It too has a ball joint at the upper end. These fail quite often but usually this results in a knocking noise but I guess they might squeal also?

here's a video of a bottom ball joint replacement on a W220 using the special tool. The B/J part no is A2203330727 - less than £20 for a TRW or SWAG part.

Great video, makes it clear thanks, Stevienno12000 has kindly let me burrow his tool.

The second picture depicts one of the drop links [spring links] from the anti roll bar end to the suspension arm. It too has a ball joint at the upper end. These fail quite often but usually this results in a knocking noise but I guess they might squeal also?

Mine certainly did.

On my W211 E55, it was the usual ball joint squeaking thing.

I'd guess it's item 20 on the diagram that's at fault. No guarantee though. I'd also recommend Lemforder or genuine MB parts. Any other make and its "Buy cheap, buy twice".
Just drop me a message if/when you want to borrow the tool.

If its squeaky then it does need to be replaced asap. I have seen some completely fail and its not pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom