SL R230 roof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
can you stop half way through the opening and shutting procedure to treat all the seals/rubber?

Is there a certain place to stop? or can you leave it anywhere? leave the engine running/ignition on?

Ta
Matt

IIRC from reading other threads on this, one has to employ a sturdy wooden block between the screen top edge and the front of the roof.

I'm sure an SL owner will be along soon to clarify

I just stop mine in the position I want by letting go of the closing lever. then apply rubber solution and then close. Very easy.

You don't need to use a piece of wood! You just let go of the switch half way through it opening and it will stay in that position for 5 minutes, after which it will beep and then continue.

You open the roof slightly less than halfway - the front of the roof should be about 50cm from the top of the screen.

Using a bit of timber (doesn't have to be over strong as the roof is close to balance point) put it between the two edges (front of roof & top of screen) & turn the ignition/engine off. You should only leave a few cm space front to back either side

Put one hand on the front of the roof because after about 10 seconds or so it will start to move forward under gravity - slow it down & make sure the wood is lined up centrally & let the whole lot come together.

The alarm to say the roof isn't open or closed stops after a few seconds.

You can leave it that way as long as you like - no strain on any of the mechanism.

When you've finished, start the engine & lift the lever to open the roof - as it moves back, grab the wood (or it lands on you :D) & that's it.

You don't need to use a piece of wood! You just let go of the switch half way through it opening and it will stay in that position for 5 minutes, after which it will beep and then continue.

Only if the job is quick - by definition, at some point you've got arms through the multitude of struts - the roof is bloody heavy & these struts form a nice scissors action when it comes down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom