SL R230 window trim shot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingwahwah

Car
SL350 AMG Sport
Hi just got new to me SL 350 2008.

All all the trim on doors and rear windows have blotches under the lacquer. Looks like a manufacturing fault for all to go like that. Is it common? Only thing that lets down the exterior.

What are my options without breaking the bank?

1) Anyone know where I could get replacements and even get fitted.

2) Ask a paint shop to strip and paint black.

3) paint in place?

Or Should this been in the detailers section?

Attachments

• 20150716_202548.jpg
    20150716_202548.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 44
Hi just got new to me SL 350 2008.

All all the trim on doors and rear windows have blotches under the lacquer. Looks like a manufacturing fault for all to go like that. Is it common? Only thing that lets down the exterior.

What are my options without breaking the bank?

1) Anyone know where I could get replacements and even get fitted.

2) Ask a paint shop to strip and paint black.

3) paint in place?

Or Should this been in the detailers section?

It's a reaction to something they have been cleaned with.... not nice!

Replacements will be from MB only ... mega bucks would be my guess. You could try a breakers, but they will doubtless mess them up getting them off.

If it was me I would remove them all and send them to Wicked Coatings in Poole - ask them to gloss black coat them. They did the grilles in the bonnet and wings for me and they came back like new..... stunning!

Cheap too. All four grilles including postage for £65. That included carbon coating the fins with the rest gloss black.

Not sure it's under the lacquer - mine has had the same - something I've used got rid of it - might have been Armor All Protectant Gloss Finish 500ml (buy it at Halfords)

hi LXi

I've used Autoglym polish, did not touch bloching but the shine after helped a bit. I'll try a more aggressive polish. I think I already tried a bit of t-cut.

But CB probably right remove and ship off. Are they hard to remove?

hi LXi

I've used Autoglym polish, did not touch bloching but the shine after helped a bit. I'll try a more aggressive polish. I think I already tried a bit of t-cut.

But CB probably right remove and ship off. Are they hard to remove?

At a guess, they will an absolute pig to remove - I could well be wrong though.

An alternative might be to have them wrapped in situ - not a major task to a good place

I'd mask them off and try a wet n dry sandpaper on them to see if you can bring them back. Do that and then use something like AG SRP to polish them back to a shiny finish.

Hi any other solutions. Going to try to fix next couple of weeks.

In the past I've used a felt polishing pad with T cut on a Dremel, doing it in situ and using plenty of masking tape protection. Obviously better done off the car if you need to re lacquer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom