SL Shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
My father in-law has his SL in at the SL shop, started as a health check, his bill is now healthily into 5 figures.

I thought these guys were reputable, but have seen a couple of posts on the net from less than happy customers.

Would appreciate my mind being put at rest (hopefully)..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:eek: What's the car and how much is it worth?

Now your asking.... it’s a mid 80’s 300SL I think. I think around 80k miles

No idea what it’s worth, but given what he has spent on it it needs to be at least £30k.

This was it 8 years ago....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They have never been cheap to be honest though the quality of work is usually spot on.

I've spoken with a couple of people in the trade about them and none have had a bad word about them. I've never used them personally though, if I had an early SL, I would have no hesitation.

I know R107s can hide some pretty major structural problems e.g. firewall corrosion. I'm not that up on values but I'd be surprised if a 300SL with 80k miles was worth £30k.

I know R107s can hide some pretty major structural problems e.g. firewall corrosion. I'm not that up on values but I'd be surprised if a 300SL with 80k miles was worth £30k.

Me too. It’s a bit concerning

Could well be £30k plus, the prices have shot up in the last couple of years

My father in-law has his SL in at the SL shop, started as a health check, his bill is now healthily into 5 figures.

I thought these guys were reputable, but have seen a couple of posts on the net from less than happy customers.

Would appreciate my mind being put at rest (hopefully)..

Five figures, as in more than £10,000?? Wowsers, that's one heck of a health check. Do you know what they're doing for him?

I’d be asking for a detailed schedule of works and costings

I’d be asking for a detailed schedule of works and costings

I think he’s had detailed schedules. They are taking photos along the way. Quite a good service if they do what they say they are doing

At least with a detailed schedule you can check it off against your own estimations.

You'll get a quality result, but as mentioned above you'll most certainly pay for it. They know how to charge and they won't miss an opportunity to do so.

At least with a detailed schedule you can check it off against your own estimations.

You'll get a quality result, but as mentioned above you'll most certainly pay for it. They know how to charge and they won't miss an opportunity to do so.

I’d click like, but I think I prefer to just understand.....

I used the SL shop for my R107 on more than one occasion and, while they are not cheap, they undoubtedly charge less than a MB main dealer and do an excellent job. They know SLs inside, out and backwards and I sold mine for a significant profit, even after taking into account what I had spent with them and that wasn't in a rising market. Had I hung on to it for four more years, I would have had enough profit to buy a new C-class outright, but that's another story...

Me too. It’s a bit concerning

I'm not sure whether the cost of repairs should be directly proportional to the value of the car. If the car is a rust bucket and he's approving the repairs at each step, then it's reasonable.
If he told them to just sort it out and left a blank check, it's his fault.
If they told him it would cost one price and the price exploded then it's bad business.

I'm not sure whether the cost of repairs should be directly proportional to the value of the car. If the car is a rust bucket and he's approving the repairs at each step, then it's reasonable.
If he told them to just sort it out and left a blank check, it's his fault.
If they told him it would cost one price and the price exploded then it's bad business.

Agree with this. The garage is only over charging if the work isn’t needed. If the car is bad and they have been asked to resolve the issues, the price could be fine. They’ve got to run a business and they’ve no reason to do anyone a favour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom