SL Soft Top Hydraulics!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deansy

Car
1992 SL 500
Has anyone tried changing the hydraulic rams for an SL (R129) soft top themselves?

I've recently had 5 (yes 5!) of the hydraulics spring leaks and have shelled out an obscene amount of money to have them replaced. Having had only 2-3 days of roof enjoyment since then another of the hydraulic cylinders has begun to leak! I am assuming that by repressurising the system the pressure has found the weakest link (i.e. one of the other old cylinders) and caused it top leak. It is the passenger side cylinder that lifts the roof cover - the one that protrudes throught the small hole at the back of the compartment.

The car is a '92 Hong Kong import (only 49k miles on it!). I think the years in the heat and humidity (and probable lack of use of the soft top - evidenced by it's excellent condition!) have taken their toll on the hydraulics.

Any help is much appreciated.

Anybody else had these problems! Can't believe hydraulics could be so much of a problem!!!!!!

I've personally not heard about the hydraulics failing - moreover the ECU which is an obscene amount of money in itself.

To be honest I settle for the ECU at this point!

Have had a look on some of the American wwe forums and it seems to be a little more common there in places like Florida and California - that's why I think it may be more of a heat related issue as it doesn't seem to be of concern in the UK - not exactly the hottest country on Earth! In particular the 2 cylinders in the header rail of the windscreen are a common problem. The first signs of an issue is leaking fluid from the top of the A Pillar.

I spoke to MB Jacksons Group quoting the part numbers and apparantly these were changed in 1996 - different OEM supplier and again in 1998. The early cars were known for a lot of electrical problems (disintigrating wiring harness etc)- similarly early '96 models with the new 5 speed auto had problems.

Something to look forward to! Interesting that they changed the supplier - must have had a lot of complaints about them from the earlier cars.

Hopefully once they're replaced I should be trouble free with the roof - just in time to put the hard top on!!! lets hope they haven't fitted an old batch! :crazy:

Well, you live and learn. The joys of car ownership I suppose - great car despite the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom