SL W107 - which engine to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zoog

Car
clio cup, e300 td
Hi folks. Just found this forum. Excellent.

I am getting seriously tempted by these vintage SL's, now starting to look very elegant if unmolested and reasonably priced.

Which engine would you reccommend? The 420 seems a good bet, but Honest John has some scary stuff about looking for oil in the plenum and needing new engines at £12K a piece!

thanks

Adrian

Biggest failing with the 107 is rust, rust, rust! - look veyr veryt carefully and a fridge magnet (wrapped in a soft cloth) will be your best friend!

When I bought my 129 SL I had only 1 criteria - the car had to be as good as possible for my budget.

I laid down the spec I wanted - aircon, rear seats - these were optional!, leather - also optional :eek:
I looked at 500's 300 12v's and 24's and even a 280.
After looking at over 20 cars in a period of 2 weeks - covering over 1000 miles doing it - I found the right car.

With hindsight - it would have been better with memory seats - but thats a small failing in what has otherwise proved to be a lovely car!

Check the available 107 specs - see what was optional, make a checklist for the phone - and use it for every phonecall.
I printed out every autotrader ad - and made notes against each car.
After hundreds of phone calls, and seeing over 20 cars - you too may find one that you are truly happy with

Mark

Thanks Mark, thats very helpful indeed.

Sounds like I should book a week off work to do it properly!

It's gone already! not to me I hasten to add.

http://www.silverarrows.co.uk/

Check these guys out the SL's they have are mint and the guy that runs the place is very helpfull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom