SL280 to SL55 conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fast28

Car
CL63, SL5.5
Hi, I don't usually post much on this site but I see there are a lot of fellow-minded people who like to "have a go" at making their Mercedes a bit different from the rest. I thought I would document as much as possible the process of transplanting an AMG 55 engine into my 2000 R129 SL280 V6.

Believe me, I've done the leg work on this before I've lifted any tool in anger! tens of hours in front of the Mercedes part catalogues cross-referencing parts with other models and hours in front of wiring diagrams.

The way that I will attack this is based around the obvious fact that the R129 was fitted with the M113 5 litre engine which externally is identical more or less to the AMG naturally aspirated M113 V8 engine. I know that this AMG engine was fitted to the R129 "SL55" between 1998 and 2000. In theory everything should just bolt-in.

The parts obtained so far are:

1. CLK55 engine and transmission (yr 2000) including wire loom and ancillaries.
2. SL500 ME2.0 engine ECU. (yr 2000)
3. SL500 transmission ECU. (yr 2000)
4. SL500 fan shroud.
5. Rear differential parts.

The parts that cause the biggest headache are the drivetrain i.e. propellor shaft, driveshafts and the rear differential. My SL280 differential cannot be used with the AMG transmission as the final drive ratio is no match and needs to be 1:2.82. The 1:2.82 differentials are found on other AMG models of the period and also on the CL500. The SL500 uses a 1:2.65 ratio found on most "500" and "320cdi" models, it also uses the larger W220 case to house the larger drive gears. Currently my SL280 in line with most V6 models uses the W210 casing. To create a special "SL55" differential I have a CL500 differential with a 1:2.82 final drive ratio that uses E320CDi driveshaft flanges (same as those used on the E55 and CLK55) and a SL500 mounting plate. The mounting plate I could not obtain used in the UK or Europe for that matter and it's about £400+ from the dealer new but I have managed to persuade a breaker in the U.S. to send me a plate from a late 2002 SL500 to complete the assembly.

My driveshaft assemblies are the same as those used in the W210 E55 so can stay. The Propellor shaft might need to change as the flanges are larger for the V8 drivetrains, 110mm PCD as opposed to 100mm PCD for 6 cylinder drivetrains. The early 500s and AMG models used a 4 finger flange on the transmission whereas all others use a 3 finger flange.

Progress so far has involved working at the rear of the car, removing the rear exhaust section, removing the original differential and removing any signs of rust and adding rust protection. The project has kicked-off a month early due to one of the rear brake lines failing due to corrosion so while the diff was out new copper brake lines were fitted and while there, any corroded petrol lines were replaced.

While I wait for the diff rear plate to arrive my focus has shifted towards the front of the car and the engine. I know from the engine schematics that the CLK55 uses the ME2.8 injection system and uses a different throttle control actuator to those used in ME2.0 systems. Comparing part numbers and the physical parts, it looks as though the throttle assembly can be used from my ME2.0 V6, it is only the MAF that is physically different in diameter.
I will be using a SL500 ME2.0 ECU to get the engine running. My thinking is, if the C43 ECU can be used to run a 55 engine with a 1200cc difference then surely a 500 ECU can run an engine with 500cc difference? I will need to get the unit "virginised", this can be done for around £70, which should give me an ECU that will mate to the DAS2b immobiliser system.
I will be using a SL500 transmission EGS to run the AMG 722.636 trans, this should be fully compatible with the other systems such as the ABS/ESP/BAS.

Pics and links to follow. :)

I didn't realise the r129 came with a 5.0L m113 , I thought it came with the 5.0L m119 ?

I didn't realise the r129 came with a 5.0L m113 , I thought it came with the 5.0L m119 ?

The late 1998 to 2001 (2002 in the U.S.) R129 had the M112 V6 and M113 V8 plus all the other later ESP and BAS systems that W210/W208 had but retained the older immobiliser system with the switchblade key.

DSC_3706-sl500-engine.jpg

Never knew that ! Thank you :)

Quite a project - good luck with this!

CLK55 engine ready to drop in

WP_000108_zpsc27c8c01.jpg

WP_000110_zps40495cf0.jpg

SL280 differential (left) against CL500 differential (right).

WP_000118_zps5a8a7e41.jpg

Very Interesting project indeed. I take it that the 55 is normally aspirated? What power should it produce?

Yr 2000 clk 55 was about 350 bhp IIRC ?

Spent a good few hours so far this weekend removing the parts around the engine. Radiators and A/C condenser removed. Drained coolant and engine oil. Removed power steering lines, alternator, removed engine mount top bolts. Things remaining to do include draining transmission, unbolting exhaust downpipes, prop-shaft flange, earth strap and finally rear transmission mount.
The engine loom I'm going to remove all the pins from the ECU connectors and then insert the pins from the CLK55 engine loom, there will be some different pins and some soldering will be necessary.

The M112.923 engine that's coming out.

WP_000133_zpsb9e1e59b.jpg

Air conditioning condenser in not a very good state, no wonder the A/C never worked!

WP_000135_zps52cddf23.jpg

Room to grow a cylinder or two!

WP_000134_zps1f02e7c7.jpg

a>

Wow! Nice work so far! It's going to be so much fun to drive afterwards!

Great project but can I ask why?

SL500 produced around 326 bhp. Factory ltd edition R129 SL55 produced only 349 bhp.

This CLK55 engine will produce around 340 bhp.

Are you planning on tuning it or adding superchargers or something?

I would have simply gone out and bought a perfect 500 and spent the cash on some tuning bits. Or even better just bought an SL60, they are 400bhp and feel it too...

Im sure you have done the research but its helluvalot of work....

Looking forward to updates nonetheless.

Great project but can I ask why?

SL500 produced around 326 bhp. Factory ltd edition R129 SL55 produced only 349 bhp.

This CLK55 engine will produce around 340 bhp.

Are you planning on tuning it or adding superchargers or something?

I would have simply gone out and bought a perfect 500 and spent the cash on some tuning bits. Or even better just bought an SL60, they are 400bhp and feel it too...

Im sure you have done the research but its helluvalot of work....

Looking forward to updates nonetheless.

I bought a nice late model SL280 at the bottom of the price bracket as a project, it was well equipped with a panoramic roof, xenon headlights, all the extras that you would expect with a runout model. It was in Obsidian black metallic that I was looking for too. High miles at 142,000 but it had full MB service history, bought for £4,995. The previous owner had treated it to a full body tidy to remove dings and corrosion which resulted in a total external respray to all panels. Since in my ownership (1 year) I've replaced all suspension bushes, shocks, springs, steering damper, brake discs and pads, rear brake hard-lines, bonnet insulation pad, all interior leather and vinyl seats and panels re-dyed (the glass roof does seem to cause the faux-leather to discolour) and a new soft-top; all this I have done myself. I have also added a set of AMG 18" monoblocks. As you can probably tell, it's a labour of love rather than economics!:)
As for the engine conversion, my time and labour aside, parts-wise, it's on target for £1500.
I was not keen on the older M119 500 engine, I have my reasons but it's just personal taste. I've been down the supercharging road with past Audis and this time I don't want to stray too far into the extreme, just have a nice decently powered R129 probably with a few exhaust mods! I'm thinking SL550 rather than SL55.

%21B9O%29B9Q%212k%7E$%28KGrHqF,%21gsEy15uTotJBM5LDE1%21-g%7E%7E0_12.JPG

Great project, looks fantastic.

Vinyl seats in a R129?

Are you sure?

Only the seat sections that you sit against are real leather, everything else is imitation leather in the car. It's no suprise in a convertible as the Sun's UV rays can ruin leather upholstery.

Only the seat sections that you sit against are real leather, everything else is imitation leather in the car. It's no suprise in a convertible as the Sun's UV rays can ruin leather upholstery.

The only non leather bits are the roll bar and the canopy bit that covers the roof. The rest I'm pretty sure is leather on mine. (seats and door inserts)

I think leather seats were a cost option on the 280 and 320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom