Sl320 1997???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Highlnder

Car
SL 320 R129 & C180K W204
Hi all again, I am looking for some advice from all you knowledgable people. I am going to look at a 1997 SL320 with 113000 genuine miles, FMBSH. Looks a lovely car with no rust dings etc and has been well looked after as owner had blank cheque book when maintaining!
Anyway I have to ask a couple of questions I was hoping you would be able to answer as I cant find anything about them on the net!

1. Can anyone tell me how many gears it has, it is an auto box and although I asked the dealer and they said 4, I think they are looking at the manual change on the auto box as there are only 4 showing. I am sure this model had 5 gears in the auto box, can anyone confirm please?

2. From examining the pictures it doesnt seem to have the headlamp wipers. This doesnt bother me, but I wanted to know if they were an option or fitted as standard in case there has been non recorded accident damage.

Please can you all let me know your thoughts asap as I am viewing it on Friday!!

Thanks guys, love the site, been a great help to me. Will post a few pics when I get it!!

Highlnder :thumb:

Post up your vin number and Iwill let you have the build spec of your car

Thanks UCR here it is!!

WDB1290632F146987

vinWDB1290632F146987

Looking at this I think it has a 5 speed box

transmission722605

289 WOOD/LEATHER STEERING-WHEEL
481 UNDERSHIELDS
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
565 REAR SEATS USED ON SL MODELS
613 LAMP UNIT - ASSYMETRICAL, LH TRAFFIC
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
744 DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC
5010807 AEJ 06/1/M/X200A LEATHER
366 Unknown
366 Unknown
265A LEATHER MUSHROOM

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum.Don`t know about the gearbox nr but your one should be a facelift and I think they came with 5 speed

722 605 five-speed automatic transmission.

If it mentions "4" then it must be a 5 speed. A 4 speed would just read P R N D 3 2 1

On the R129 the 5-speed box became standard on the 1997 model (late 1996). It was an option before that.

Thanks guys thats fab. Yeah the dealer (non MB) is reading it as you say UCR and stating that it is a 4 speed, but you have confirmed my thoughts! What about the headlamp wipers are they an option? as my new one wont have them. Suppose its less to go wrong!!

Welcome to the forum bud
smile.gif

Hi all, thanks for your warm welcomes and advice! So if the headlight wipers are standard, I take it that a previous owner can mod to remove them, as I have found a few without them about the age of mine. Bought it from a dealer in London Nicey. It was a trade in for a nearly new SL! Hi locheelad hows the weather up there!

Removing the headlamp wipers was a reasonably common mod. in the US where they were of less use than here in Europe! The only issue I've ever had with mine is that the one-way valve in the pipe from the washer reservoir needed replacing.

Hi all, hows the weather in auld dundee lochee? Thanks for answering my queries UCL very much appreciated. Will get more pics on soon and thanks for the warm welcome everyone. This site is invaluable!! Anyway any Scottish meets soon Lochee???

Welcome to the Forum maybe see you on the road
Cheers Donny:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom