SL320 (1998) Sudden power drop-off on acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasKik

Car
SL320 1998
Hi Folks

Just bought a 1998 SL320 and on the whole its great a few issues around vacuum driven locking etc are present but are acceptable - however on acceleration (foot from mid to quite hard down) the power just goes, almost as if a engine stopped and then a big jolt as power kicks in again (no lights on dash).

In my experience of other cars i would look at fuel or air or both?

Any pointers as to how to narrow this down would be much appreciated

:)

Best regards

JasKik

It sounds like blocked cats. Could be other things though ( air mass sensor )
Any faults log on a star machine?

What is mileage and maintenance history?

Fuel filter, spark plugs, MAF, oxygen sensors etc etc. First thing in order not to throw money away changing multiple parts is to have all the codes read on a Star machine.

Hi thx for the responses

I have all mot except 1

No real service history.

64k mileage which all ads up except missing mot which is second one. Two registered owners.

I have ordered maf , will try to get oxygen sensors today. Can I fit them myself?

Should I get one of the Chinese Star C3 diag kits? I've heard good and bad things about them.

Thx again folks

I need help. My 2007 C180 wont start unless you push to start. twice yesterday but after pushing, it started. What can do please? Somebody help me

Hi thx for the responses

Re jolt under power Pretty sure it's not kick down.

I have all mot except 1

No real service history.

64k mileage which all ads up except missing mot which is second one. Two registered owners.

I have ordered maf , will try to get oxygen sensors today. Can I fit them myself, also any specific brands to get)

Should I get one of the Chinese Star C3 diag kits? I've heard good and bad things about them.
(Anybody in bracknell area want to share the cost @ £300.00?)

Thx again folks

Before you bolt any parts on get it diagnosed. It will save you ££ in the long run.

It was the maf! Got a new one from Bosch and problem gone!

Thanks folks :)

put catcleaner into the fuel so it clears your cats it does work and relatively simple to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom