SL320 a good buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aspire

Car
R129 SL320
Hi folks

I've been dipping into this forum for a while, now, since I started thinking I would like my next car to be a MB. Been thinking about posting this query, and decided you really are a good bunch when I saw the sympathetic response to Simon's accident in his SLK. I'll add my commiserations, too.

At first, I was thinking I would aim towards (probably next summer) a 3-4 year-old CLK230 coupe, but for the proposed £20k price, it looks like a 1997 SL320 could be possible. This brings several questions...

As a low mileage driver (7000 per year) I wonder if cars that have, say, 80000 miles on them would be OK, or do things start to wear out and cost money?

My local dealer in Glasgow said an A service is £175, a B for a CLK230 is £315, and a B for a SL320 is £460. Based on my mileage above, mixed local & M-way, how often would the SL need these? (That is to say, are 1997 cars on dashboard indicators for service, or is it at 6000 or 9000 intervals?)

Leading on from above, maybe someone knows if South Glasgow has any reputable independents for servicing MB?

Is there any reason to prefer the straight six 320, or try to aim for the V6 that arrived in 1998?

Who do people find best for initial inspections of a prospective purchase: AA, RAC, usedcarchecks, local MB dealer?

If buying privately, is it worth asking to buy a Signature warranty from MB, or are any of the other companies worth considering?

Any advice gratefully received.

Derek

Originally posted by aspire

If buying privately, is it worth asking to buy a Signature warranty from MB, or are any of the other companies worth considering?

Any advice gratefully received.

Derek

Hi Derek.
Welcome to the forums mate.
With regard to the warranty side of things, for the last 2 years, I have used a company called WHA Ltd. (warranty holdings).
My premium for 12 months is £219.00 with added air con protection.
There is a £1000 limit per claim, but unlimited claims per year.
I have always found them quick to pay out.
Their number is 0800 103040 should you be interested.
Enjoy the MB when you get it.;)

Last edited:
We have a member called "DorainT" who has a R129 SL320.

Maybe PM him if you need info.

Hi Derek,

Re: Signature Warranties: I got a signature warranty when i bought the car and renewed earlier this year. At this summer's GTG, George Fraser (Merc indep) mentioned that a warranty from the RAC or AA is just as good and much cheaper.

My sig warranty was approx £500 :eek: although i have used it - the work costing more that that. Also, there is a 60k miles threshold on the pricing. The warranty will cost more for a car >60k miles.

Finally, bear in mind what any warranty covers. I nearly bought one for ~£250 but that didn't cover the roof hydraulics - that's what needed fixing so that warranty would've been useless.

btw: cheers for your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom