SL320 Immobiliser and key...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shadychris

Car
SL320
So I'm a bit confused about the immobiliser\locking fitted on my '95 SL320......
The owners handbook states that there is an IR receiver situated in the panel next to the door handle along with the green and red LED's, and that the remote IR key fob should be pointed in that direction... However that doesn't seem to work...
When I picked the car up the seller said that sometimes the immobiliser would stay on and while sat in the car he demonstrated by pointing the keyfob in the direction of the interior mirror which has a red and green LED set in the roof console housing.
The owners handbook doesnt show these LED's or make any mention of an IR receiver in the mirror console. Looking online I can only find photos of roof consoles without these LED's. The car does seem to lock\unlock fine from outside if I point the key fob in the general direction of the interior\mirror, and the LEDS next to driver door handle do flash red when its locked or green when its opened... So do I have some kind of after-market immobiliser with a receiver that has been fitted into the mirror housing but also wired into the door handle LED indicators??
Also although the car was sold to me with 2 keys - I've since discovered that the second one is entirely unrelated to my car - different key that wont fit any of the locks and it's also not an IR unit, but seems to be an RF device with 2 buttons on it.. Am I stuck with having to go to a main dealer to obtain a spare IR key, and what would be the likely cost??

In 17 years of 129 ownership, I've always aimed at the mirror.

Thanks Doodle. Pointing at the mirror also seems to be the only way it works for me. But it's completely at odds with what my owners handbook says as per attached image. Wondering if maybe I have a non-UK variant handbook - perhaps for US. (image does show a L\H side driver door!)
However as you say you've only ever experienced operation in exactly the same way as mine, I'm now re-assured that I don't have some Frankenstein after-market conversion that will be a nightmare to troubleshoot or replace should it ever give problems.
manual_opt(1).jpg

I'll double check my manual in the morning. The US manual would refer to "trunk" rather than "luggage compartment".

In the 1996 MY handbook it shows and only refers to the interior mirror sensor and lights along with the starter lockout facility. You may have a build that is right on the cusp of a technical or operations change just to make life that little bit more exciting.

1996 saw the introduction of the MBSS2 system. :thumb:

Interesting - mine was first registered on 05/04/1995, so from what you are saying it should have door and boot lock IR receivers as my manual indicates. But there is certainly no boot lock IR receiver and the mirror has the LEDS and receiver built in (unlike the image in the handbook) indicating it is the later system... ho hum

I think you're missing a booklet from your owners pack.

Your owners manual is probably the same as mine, printed March 94 (bottom of pg3), but this is partly superseded by a separate multi-language booklet called "Locking system with remote control" dated October 94. In that, it mentions aiming at the rear view mirror.

Bingo! My owners manual is 1994 and I have just found another booklet (not multi language) titled The Mercedes Benz Security System (MBSS) which does refer to LEDs in the mirror.
Sorry for my OCD on this one - but as a bonus I also just found another leaflet about resetting windows and hood etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom