SL320 (R129) centre console

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KMA880

Car
Mercedes Benz SL320 Edition
Can anyone recommend where i can purchases a new dark walnut style centre console for my SL320 Edition.

I need the frame which sits around the tape compartment as my one has cracked due to heat glare from the panoramic roof.

Thanks

K

Did you get any further with this since I have the same problem as you.

Thanks

Try talking to Silvercrest Woodwork in Slough. They are currently refurbishing the wood from my 129.

Thanks for this. They are not too far from me so will be going to see them this week.

Out of interest, the bits which are cracked on my R129 look like veneers rather than real wood, is that what you have also?

Thanks

P

No luck my end. I have seen a few guys on Ebay Germany selling the centre console however they only seme to have solid colours like black, creme and grey rather than the veneers as on my SL Edition.

In addition the Edition model has a black/brown veneer rather than a simple brown version. Slough is round the corner for me, am curious as to how much you are paying and what you are having done?

Thanks.

K

I think mine is exactly the same as yours. It is a black/grey veneer that I am looking for also.

I am hoping that Silvercrest may be able to either fix it or make something to the same colour.

Its not a massive job since its only cracked (and broken) where the cassettes are stored, the other parts seem to be fine.

I will let you know what they say when I pop over.

I'm sure they'll be able to come up with something. All the wood on the SL is a veneer onto a metal backing plate, rather than solid wood pieces, if that's what you mean P.

In my case, the upper and lower door sections were totally beyond repair and require a full refinish. The centre console has a small crack radiating from the gearshift cutout - they may be able to repair this rather than replace. Lastly there is a wood steering wheel that has a couple of large dinks in it. Quoted ~£400 as a worst case scenario.

Useful to know. I'll let you know what I am quoted (hope its less than that).

Basically the heat from the pana roof has cracked and broken the veneer round where the cassette tapes are stored, so this is all that needs to be repaired, rest is ok (but could probably do with a good polish).

My only concern is that where it has broken off, I dont have the broken pieces, so hoping that they will be able to make a replacement.

If it needs replacement, they should be able to make something suitable. The panels around the seat controls/opening handle are a total loss on mine.

Slightly off topic - do you know how to repair or get a replacement button for the arm rest slider button which currently has a big hole in it!

Not sure if I need the button or need the whole arm rest.

Not very technical - sorry!

I have had my centre console surround restored, the laquer was completely cracked, the veneer was broken and missing, the guy that restored it did it in 5 days, it is now mint, he restored the veneer, staind to match and laquered, cost £160.00 see pics

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm in the same boat and struggling to remove the trim. Watched the video on u tube but the panel just won't come out. Wonder if there are more screws on the later 2000 models.
Thanks for any help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom