SL320 R129 Noisey Front Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AGOG

Car
S204 C200cdi AMG Edition 125
So with the front wheel bearings now tightened and both front shocks replaced along with their top mounts there is still a knocking/banging noise coming from the front suspension, most noticeable when driving over rutted and potholed surfaces at low speeds.The balljoints et al show no signs of wear, I wonder about the bushing on the anti-roll/stabiliser bar, I used to have 300TE around the same vintage and I seem to remember a similar knocking until I had those bushes replaced.
I believe these two cars share a lot of the same front suspension, I dunno, just guessing really, any ideas ?

I would say lower ball joints and or drop links. they don't need a lot of play to make a noise, SL's are heavy cars.

How many are there , 2 balljoints & 2 droplinks ? What about that stabiliser bar ?

Anyone heard of a repair kit for the steering box, to take out some play for the R129 ?

How many are there , 2 balljoints & 2 droplinks ? What about that stabiliser bar ?

Anyone heard of a repair kit for the steering box, to take out some play for the R129 ?

I would put money on the 2 droplinks and they are the cheapest/easiest to change.

There are two bushes on the front of the anti-roll bar but I don't think they cause a knocking sound, just excessive roll.

Not sure about the repair kit....

Have you checked the steering damper?

It is never a bad thing to replace the 4 anti roll bar bushes which are a cheap and easy thing to achieve - at least it will be eliminated from the equation.

Use Merc originals and give full VIN to parts person - there have been some updates.

Do not overtighten the bush straps - low torque required.

does your car have the self levelling front suspension ?

all parts available at Merc main dealer at good prices - give your full VIN.

the saga continues......... I have now replaced, left and right balljoints, ARB bushes, rear gearbox mount, left and right bottom wishbone bushes, inner and outer track control ends, steering ider bushes, both left and right shocks along with their new top mounts, she's been tracked up front and rear, and still I HAVE THE KNOCKING !!! ARRRGGGHHH ! I'm going to replace the steering damper next.. this is driving me crazy !!! HELP !!!!!

Sounds like the only items left to eliminate are the subframe bushes and engine mounts....

Engine mounts are fine, apparently, tell me more about the subframe bushes please ?

Just re-read your original post, the subframe bushes are on the rear, no front subframe on the 129 aparently so scrub that, sorry.

Sounds like you have eliminated the usual suspects other than the steering rack but not sure if it would make a knocking sound??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom