sl320 w129 head gasket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

masmas

Car
320sl 95
hi all,I have a weeping head gasket (very slight)and don`t show on the dipstick.It`s on the offside corners of the straight 6 engine. it`s been like it 3 years although the car only covers about 3 k per year,would it be adviseable o have it sorted and how much should i expect to pay?cheers

IMHO if you're only doing 3k miles a year, I'd leave it unless the leak was bad. I imagine it can't be too much of a problem if it's been like that for 3 years. Obviously there's 'weeps' and then there's 'leaks', depends on how much oil it's losing?

They all seem to weep slightly, almost characteristic. Someone on here mentioned that there was a MB service document stating that the oil level should be filled to around halfway between min-max to help avoid this.

I'd imagine you'd be looking at somewhere around £600-800+ to repair. If the car is absolutely mint and faultless in other respects, I'd go for it :) But if the cash could be better spent elsewhere then it might be hard to justify bearing in mind the amount of use it gets?

Will

I do them for about £700.

The rule of thumb is if the oil from the leak is reaching the sump area get it done!

cheers for that , a good price,the car has done 43k and at the last service it was advised ,slight play in the steering idler bush and the head gasket weep,plus hand brake adjustment,i`m a fussy kind of chap and things like that bug me ,love the car but in the summer it cut out a couple of times when the weather was baking and started again after 20 mins.crank sensor?anyway cheers for the replies and a trip south !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom