SL350 - Best main battery ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
The battery, under the bonnet of my R230 SL350 which I assume is the cranking battery appears to be nearing the end of its life. The current battery is a Lion, which I was told when I purchased the car some 6 months ago, was "recently fitted" - I don't have the receipt so no guarantee claim.

I have had three replacement batteries recommended all AGM, (I must confess that I didn't expect the recommended battery to be AGM). They are all 278x175x190 mm, 70 Ah / 760A and B13 base. Those recommended are:-

Bosch S5 AGM S5A 08 - £128
Exide AGM EK700 - £125 and
Varta Silver Dynamic AGM E39 - £145

I would appreciate thoughts on which might be best. I have had good experience of all three manufacturers for batteries in my MGs. I'm inclined to go for the Varta, as I have used this in more modern vehicles with no problems.

I am also advised that a change of battery must be registered with the control unit - how please do I do this; or is it off to my favourite indy?

NJSS

The battery, under the bonnet of my R230 SL350 which I assume is the cranking battery appears to be nearing the end of its life. The current battery is a Lion, which I was told when I purchased the car some 6 months ago, was "recently fitted" - I don't have the receipt so no guarantee claim.

I have had three replacement batteries recommended all AGM, (I must confess that I didn't expect the recommended battery to be AGM). They are all 278x175x190 mm, 70 Ah / 760A and B13 base. Those recommended are:-

I would appreciate thoughts on which might be best. I have had good experience of all three manufacturers for batteries in my MGs. I'm inclined to go for the Varta, as I have used this in more modern vehicles with no problems.

I am also advised that a change of battery must be registered with the control unit - how please do I do this; or is it off to my favourite indy?

NJSS

You can’t go wrong with those three. Personally I would go with Varta as I believe that’s what you often get if you buy from a main dealer. That said I seem to recall that Bosch and Varta are the same.

Have you asked your main dealer for a price?

As previously said, try your local dealer for a price, then ask for a discount? Or if you can get the original part number ensure for a price at a commercial Mercedes dealer, they tend to be cheaper than car dealers for parts.

Usually there's only a small handful of manufacturers that sell batteries so it probably makes no difference what the sticker says on the top. As it's in the boot, buy an AGM battery with the best warranty for the best price that can easily be returned or exchanged if it goes bad.

I've just spent a good while researching this a week ago. My choices settled on the Bosch S5 or Varta Silver.
I'd go with Bosch S5 in this instance. I think as said it's the same manufacturer essentially as Varta.
The Bosch comes with a 5 year guarantee vs. Varta Silver's 4 years. Price is virtually identical.

I've recently bought a new battery for my E350 (2011 vintage, on the original battery). Like you, I was surprised by the factory fit AGM, but one of the benefits of AGM is it takes discharging better with less damage, and due to lockdowns the car is getting less regular use, so I thought sticking with the AGM would have its benefit even if it is more expensive than a traditional 'wet' lead acid.
Main dealer are probably Varta silver rebranded, but they only offer 2 year warranty and probably are more expensive.
I went with Varta Silver (F21) in the end because it was cheaper than the Bosch S5 AGM for the size I wanted.
I ordered from Tayna Batteries, and had no problems with the next day delivery.

There has been suggestion elsewhere and on other forums that the Halfords batteries are the same as the Varta Silver. I don't believe this is true.
The manufacturing company is the same as that for Varta, but I suspect the batteries are not identical. Halfords do offer a decent warranty, but when I read all the reviews, there seemed to be massive wriggling out of exchanging duff batteries.

The prices you listed are not competitive. Try these:

Bosch S5 A08 - £121.50 + delivery
Varta E39 - £120.95 + delivery
Exide EK700 - £91.99 + delivery

Pardon my ignorance, but what does AGM stand for. I've been told by a suitable supplier the battery for my car would be a Varta Black dynamic 90 AH :confused:

Let me Google that for you. Please click the following link.

Main dealer, as above try a commercial one first.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be a pain in the proverbial, I was just seeking advice.

NJSS

Hi NJSS
I also need to replace the starter battery for my R230 SL350.
Hopefully your experience can reduce my learning curve on this one! LOL
Can you please let me know which battery you went for, if you're happy with it, and whether you needed to follow any specific process when fitting the battery to maintain any system settings etc.
thanks and regards

m10279 - Welcome.

My "indy" - the excellent Prestige Car Service in Horndean, fitted two genuine MB batteries with 3 year guarantees. The main battery was £126, and the smaller one £117 in each case plus VAT.

I have had no problems in the 5+ months since they were fitted. I am away at present so can't tell you what make the batteries are, but if you want this information I'll post on my return.

NJSS

I should have added that I don't know about the specific process for fitting the battery, if any, as Olly at PCS supplied & fitted the batteries for me.

Regards

NJSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom