SL350 or SL500 opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrrco

MB Enthusiast
Car
X218 CLS500 AMG BlueEfficiency Sport Shooting Brake - name almost as long as the car... & W202 C200
I have decided it is time to look for a toy for occasional use (up to 3k miles pa) only to satiate my mid-life crisis.

Don't want to go completely crazy, so looking at 02-05 SLs with the M112 & M113 engines, as I understand these were the better motors.

So, any opinions and advice on what to look for and whether to go for the 3.7 V6 or 5.0 V8?

All advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The world and his wife will rave on about it must be a 500 but in real world driving apart from a nicer sound of the engine the 350 will undoubtedly do what you want of it without the worry of ABC etc. Unless you can't live without the second or so you save getting to 60 mph? :)

I have decided it is time to look for a toy for occasional use (up to 3k miles pa) only to satiate my mid-life crisis.

Don't want to go completely crazy, so looking at 02-05 SLs with the M112 & M113 engines, as I understand these were the better motors.

So, any opinions and advice on what to look for and whether to go for the 3.7 V6 or 5.0 V8?

All advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I bought a SL350 first on the advice of a friend but really in my heart I wanted a V8, I regretted the decision and traded it in for the SL500 V8 and I'm glad I did. The 350 is a fine car but the 500 is in a different league.

I’ll be watching this thread because ideally I’d like a 129.

I wouldn’t say no to the newer model but I’ve read a few bad things about them. They are nice cars though.

A big V8 is a big thirsty V8. (I should know!) I love them but in all honesty, in the real world, my wifes SL350 2005 is every bit as good and in some ways better (weight balance) for 95% of the time. Plenty of power, very comfortable, and the V6 is very smooth. Whatever people might think , these SLs are lovely day to day cruisers rather than real sports cars . Open topped relaxed motoring at its best. Get one with a Pan Roof. Makes a huge difference to the interior experience.

Just looking at getting an SL500,with recently overhauled ABC suspension, to replace my stolen and written off when recovered SLK32AMG.
Downsides are it has two minor rust areas on the rear wing return flanges, and a rust spot on the roof about the size of my thumb nail.
All areas are being done before I take delivery. Also rear parking sensors will be fitted too. The car has covered 37,000 mile with FMBSH.
I will fit my 18inch BRABUS Split Rim alloys, once I get the car. These I had refurbished when I salvaged them off my wrecked 32AMG, to replace the AMG 18inch alloys,
the SL is currently shod with.

I had a sl 350, great car, all you need on our roads.
Don't bother if it's got a panoramic roof! It makes no difference at all in an sl, I've had one with and one without in R230 style, my current R231 has a panoramic roof and it's totally pointless, it's a very airy car anyway. The point of an sl is roof down motoring.

Real world driving there'll be no difference unless you are the stig.
Dont expect it to be rapid.

Just looking at getting an SL500,with recently overhauled ABC suspension, to replace my stolen and written off when recovered SLK32AMG.
Downsides are it has two minor rust areas on the rear wing return flanges, and a rust spot on the roof about the size of my thumb nail.
All areas are being done before I take delivery. Also rear parking sensors will be fitted too. The car has covered 37,000 mile with FMBSH.
I will fit my 18inch BRABUS Split Rim alloys, once I get the car. These I had refurbished when I salvaged them off my wrecked 32AMG, to replace the AMG 18inch alloys,
the SL is currently shod with.

Good point for the op to be aware of regardless of 350 or 500 is to check the rear arches for rust. The R129's suffered with rust in the front wings and whilst a little costly to replace at least it removes the rust altogether. You need a very good job done to ensure rust in the rear arches is eradicated if you plan on keeping an R230 long term. It does show the fallibility of the ABC system on the 500's that a car with 37k on it has had to have it overhauled and from what I've read that's never a cheap thing to do. :(

Were there any other changes in the half-facelift other than the DVD/widescreen Comand?

Were there any other changes in the half-facelift other than the DVD/widescreen Comand?
Front bumper styling and different alloy wheels were the other main changes, i think the rear luggage straps became an option on the FL cars.

I had a sl 350, great car, all you need on our roads.
Don't bother if it's got a panoramic roof! It makes no difference at all in an sl, I've had one with and one without in R230 style, my current R231 has a panoramic roof and it's totally pointless, it's a very airy car anyway. The point of an sl is roof down motoring.

Real world driving there'll be no difference unless you are the stig.
Dont expect it to be rapid.
I like the pano roof, especially on a silver SL. It isn't always sunny and the pano roof adds extra light in the cabin when you have to put the roof up.

I've had both, and if I'd recommend the SL350 on cost and performance grounds, or the SL500 if you value the fabulous ABC ride.

You'll get the same speeds out of both on UK roads, with probably more pleasure out of the engine noise as you rev the V6 that little bit more than the V8, which you will never stress in the UK.

They are enormous value for money, and there are plenty of beautiful low mileage 2 or 3 owner cars around, if you can be bothered to look.

Look for recent service history, signs of long term garage storage, rust in the wings, and damp in the boot (which can cost £2k if it reaches the electrics). On the SL500 check that the ABC is working properly as the car lifts when you power up.

Only caveat: are you sure you don't want the newer, smaller, less impressive, but much more modern SLK350 ? They're similar prices for much younger cars and look much more modern. They don't sell well on the used market because people can't afford the tax and insurance. Just a thought.

mercedes-benz-slk350-photo-5384-s-original.jpg

The 350 will deliver a similar performance to the 500, but in a higher rev range with two cylinders less. I prefer the relaxed delivery of a V8 and the more instant fix of power lower down the rev range with a bigger dollop of torque, rather than the "wait for it" crescendo of 6 cylinders. The M113 is a beautiful engine.

Only caveat: are you sure you don't want the newer, smaller, less impressive, but much more modern SLK350 ? They're similar prices for much younger cars and look much more modern. They don't sell well on the used market because people can't afford the tax and insurance. Just a thought.

Thanks for the thought. I have looked at the SLK and I do like the exterior look of the "mkII", but I'll be sitting inside and I really cannot abide all the black plastic in the SLK. I prefer grey or cream interiors with some wood around the place and, in the SL, even the black isn't too bad as it's leather rather than plastic. With the SLK, the only wood available is on the steering wheel (I don't much like that wheel either!) and on the handbrake of all places Fussy I know, but if I'm getting a toy I want to feel special sitting in it.

Also, isn't the SLK350 the M272 engine with all its problems?

I bought a low mileage , one owner 2004 350 on standard suspension two years ago. Rightly or wrongly I was put off the 500 by the scare stories re ABC and don't regret that decision. The 3.7 V6 is a lovely smooth engine with an addictive rasping exhaust when pushing on. These cars are not out and out sports cars, but in terms of fast mile munching with the added benefit of the hard top. they are hard to fault. I think they are still one of the better looking Mercedes of recent years.

Performance wise, in the real world there is not much difference to the 500, but they do lack a bit of torque which means you have to knock down a couple of gears sometimes, but with that engine it's no hardship.

In terms of value for money they are both hard to fault if you get a good one, but not having to worry about suspension issues is a bonus for me.

I like the pano roof, especially on a silver SL. It isn't always sunny and the pano roof adds extra light in the cabin when you have to put the roof up.

Have you driven a non pano roof car? There is absolutely no difference inside with a panoramic roof or not, you sit way ahead of the glass, I'm 6'2" and sit low and back. You don't even notice a change In light by putting the roof up!
If it's sunny the roof is down, If it's not sunny it's dark and drab anyway so no light will get in!
From the outside yes I agree it looks much better with a glass roof on a silver car, mine was black and you couldn't tell.
A pano roof in an SL is for aesthetics only.
Yes by all means look for one with, but it really makes no difference from inside the car, don't make it a deal breaker.

V8 for me all day long. Does the pano roof and more weight & a bit more to the top of the car. I know from experience the pano roof in the R129 is substantially heavier than the non pano roof. Aluminium against glass.

Also said:
I agree with you on the cheapness of the SLK compared to the SL350. Just wanted to highlight the modernity of it.

However, that M272 is used on the SL350 and the SLK350. It's not a problem if you buy a post 2006 car (the Engine numbers will tell whether it was modified.) But as with all Internet Ogres, it's heavily over-reported, and not everyone suffers. I didn't have a hint of a problem on my 2005 SL350.

Have you driven a non pano roof car? There is absolutely no difference inside with a panoramic roof or not, you sit way ahead of the glass, I'm 6'2" and sit low and back. You don't even notice a change In light by putting the roof up!
If it's sunny the roof is down, If it's not sunny it's dark and drab anyway so no light will get in!
From the outside yes I agree it looks much better with a glass roof on a silver car, mine was black and you couldn't tell.
A pano roof in an SL is for aesthetics only.
Yes by all means look for one with, but it really makes no difference from inside the car, don't make it a deal breaker.
All cars I looked at when buying my SL did not have the pano roof other than the one i bought but it wasn't tbe deciding factor.

I am not offering an opinion because I have neither owned nor driven a 350 although I do not understand why anyone would not want a V8. We have both my SL500 and MrsB's SLK320.......the M112 in the SLK is brilliant but the M113 in the SL is better.
I have owned my R230 from new (18.09.2003) so it is 14.5 years old and it has covered 147,300 miles.
The ABC is sublime and should be sought after not avoided.
In descending order of cost:
General servicing in accordance with the manufacturers schedules including time and mileage related items and expected consumables such as pads and discs......5.4ppm
Tyres......3.1ppm
Sundry items such as replacement batteries, MOTs, CAT replacement, engine and gear box mounts, SRS issues, etc......2.2ppm
Twice upgrading the infotainment system (The original COMAND is poor and yesteryear)......1.7ppm
Corrosion treatment and prevention......1.4ppm
ABC issues.......1.3ppm
Replacement fuel tank......1.0ppm
Replacement sbc pump......0.9ppm

In addition there is of course fuel at about 21mpg, Insurances (personal), RFL or whatever it is these days and DEPRECIATION which for me so far has been 70.0ppm

In pure financial terms ABC should not be avoided based on nothing more than regurgitated uninformed forum speak taken in isolation from individual short termism experiences.
The total cost of running my car has been 50.0ppm (excluding depreciation) so the ABC is 2.6% of that figure and 1.1% of the depreciation inclusive figure of 120.0ppm

I appreciate that you will not suffer the same level of depreciation as I have done but you will be collecting the costs of running a car that is about 14 years old from day one of your ownership. As depreciation falls so all other costs rise.

Finally........the R230 is a brilliant car.......I plan on keeping it indefinitely and continue to use. The R230 likes to be driven.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom