SL350 PETROL TANK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wylecoyote

Car
SL 350
There is a strange knocking sound coming from inside the petrol tank when you move or even rock the car . Sounds like a pendulum swinging and starts loud then fades away. its not the sender as have removed that and still does it. A bit nervous messing with tank as still has petrol in!
Anyone any ideas??
Cheers Phil

If memory serves correctly there's an internal baffle in the tank that comes loose and flaps about.

I fix them if you want they repair done. I'm located in Coventry

Thanks for your replies, have spent time looking at similar problem reported on here and old interweb and have done my own diy repair which is currently working fine , no more banging!
I will give it another week and if all ok will reveal my secret and very cheap repair.
Obviously if it starts again will forget it
Cheers Phil

Just for the record its been 6 months and all quiet. Cost £1.00 plus my labour about 1 hour:)

Well done Phil, what’s the fix then? 🤷‍♂️😁
sorry its took so long but for anyone interested:
remove all the bits to access the petrol gauge sender.
remove the sender and make a hook, coat hanger type thing and pull the baffle plate slightly forward about an inch
get a piece of rubber petrol pipe about 2 foot long and slide it behind the baffle, I left 6 inches showing.
let the baffle go and it now only rattles against the rubber pipe, not heard a peep since.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom