Sl350(R230) exhaust tuning..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mat8n

Banned
Car
Sl63,honda crf450x, BMW x3, vespa lx50v, Honda goldwing in bits!
I'm after making my SL sound a bit more sporty!
At the moment it's got the standard system and it sounds a bit tame!

I've heard about removing the centre silencers and things?
I'm after a nice throaty sound that befits the look of the car.
The car is only a weekend toy so it doesn't need to be that liveable if you know what I mean.

Any ideas and recommendations would be great.
Thanks

I'm looking at doing similar modifications and have been researching for a while. I'm not familiar with your model but most modern Merc exhaust systems seem to have the following components: primary cats - secondary cats - resonator - back boxes. General consensus seems to be that removing the secondary cats and resonator adds some growl to the exhaust without making it deafening and without motorway drone. It may be that your SL doesn't have all of these parts in the exhaust so mods have to be made another way, e.g. new back boxes. You could just ditch everything after the primary cats for some serious noise!

Anyway you can bet that there are people out there who have tried every possible exhaust mod on your model, especially USA owners, and you should be able to find YouTube clips to listen to. The mbworld.org forum is also a good source of info.

Finally, consensus on here seems to be that MSL performance is THE place for Mercedes mods and I am sure they'd be full of good advice and have probably already done similar jobs on SLs..

Good luck!

I live next door to big fish tuning... I asked them before but i've forgotten! I'm away from home at the moment which is why I asked, what you've said does sound like what I've heard.
I'll pop in to BFT when I'm home as I want a remap too.

The 350 engine can sound a little tacky when the resonators are removed. Just be careful what you do.

The 350 engine can sound a little tacky when the resonators are removed. Just be careful what you do.

So what would you recommend?
I'm looking for a nice sound that suits the style of the car, and also want to help improve performance slightly, with filters open up the exhaust and a remap.... I'm thinking I could get very close to the sl 500 figures of the same year?
I'm not going all out as i know iit'sthe wrong model for that.

So what would you recommend?
I'm looking for a nice sound that suits the style of the car, and also want to help improve performance slightly, with filters open up the exhaust and a remap.... I'm thinking I could get very close to the sl 500 figures of the same year?
I'm not going all out as i know iit'sthe wrong model for that.

I remember you mate. Black SL350.

My advice was goto Exhaust a Fix in Darlington, and fine tune it to what you want with a full new system. The V6 can become awful sound if you just chop out boxes. It needs something from the manifold back.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom