• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

SL350 (R231) Manual Opening Boot Using Gas Struts

Do you have a link?

I have the same issue, my bootlid is really heavy to lift - and I have the Carbon Fibre bootlid!
I've yet to come across anyone who has a "light" boot lid on a R231, my worry if it lifts too easily is it may damage one of the many linkages if raised too quickly or powerfully.

I've yet to come across anyone who has a "light" boot lid on a R231, my worry if it lifts too easily is it may damage one of the many linkages if raised too quickly or powerfully.

Mine is that heavy my Mrs cant even open it though :O

Just a thought, mine came with the boot spoiler, I wonder if the struts are different if the spoiler is added and if not whether replacing the ones on the car with the "normal" ones will make much difference? Maybe try some slightly stronger ones with a spoiler??

Just looked at mine and the OEM for the Carbon Bootlid/Spoiler is 0560n...

My car is ten years old now, £25 for a pair which last even 5 years is worth it? however I am up for possibly fitting stronger versions...

a2319800564

1708098625993.png

My car is ten years old now, £25 for a pair which last even 5 years is worth it? however I am up for possibly fitting stronger versions...

a2319800564

View attachment 153350
I'm going to try the 560n ones they will be with me today if that doesn't help I'm going for the heavy duty ones, trouble is they were all out of stock when I checked.

Just a thought, mine came with the boot spoiler, I wonder if the struts are different if the spoiler is added and if not whether replacing the ones on the car with the "normal" ones will make much difference? Maybe try some slightly stronger ones with a spoiler??
Mine too, I wonder if that makes the difference!

Let us know how you get on!
Well I can safely say a vast improvement.
It will hold at any point now whereas even fully extended it would ease its way down.previously, It actually caught me in the back of the head the other night.
Also raising it is much easier a single handed job rather than fighting with both hands.
But of course it's all relative, it depends how far your struts have gone. Mine is a 2015 so any older must be worse I would have thought.

Ah brilliant! Can you confirm the exact ones you got?

I'll make a video on how to replace them for other people to follow

This is the one I used, attached.

Just for clarity qty 1 is qty 1 Pair.

It took all of 5/6 mins with the wife holding up the boot lid while I did it.

Attachments

• Struts.png
    Struts.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 6

See my link, post 23.

a2319800564

View attachment 153350
Just replaced mine, but mine (with metal boot) have a different rating and part number!
620N A231 980 03 64
To be honest they've made no difference but at 540N I expect they wouldn't. Anyone want a pair of struts, only fitted and tried once?

20240223_105909.jpg

Found some on autodoc the correct rating.
Anyone want my struts let me know, only fitted for 5 minutes......

Have just fitted replacement 560N and it has made a little improvement, however the bootlid only pops up 1cm still upon the key - Should it pop open more?

and then is still fairly 'heavy' to lift up. alot better than before, but I would imagine it to be a 1 handed job?

The plus side, the lid stays put at whichever postion it sits at now.

1709557147546.png

Last edited:
Just replaced mine, but mine (with metal boot) have a different rating and part number!
620N A231 980 03 64
To be honest they've made no difference but at 540N I expect they wouldn't. Anyone want a pair of struts, only fitted and tried once?

View attachment 153646

Surely 540n isnt as powerful as the 0620n?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom