SL350 - R231 - Parking light failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rallyboy

Car
SL350 - R231
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, so I hope I have put this request in the correct place.
An LED has apparently failed in the right hand(offside) head lamp unit. (The eyebrow light) Has anyone had a similar failure and how did you handle it?

I have been quoted over £1000 just for the replacement sealed unit. But it seems impossible even to check out the wiring without removing the entire front of the car. Any workrounds or ideas please.
Thanks for reading this.
Rallyboy

Same problem with new purchase of my 2014 SL. I insisted they sort it before collection. Diagnostic check threw up control unit, fitted new one no change. Second check now said headlamp unit so they agreed to fit new one and commented unit cost was £900! Thank Christ it happened now. Best of luck I would live with it or maybe see if any in breakers yards?

They are a sealed unit. If only 1 led has failed it is not likely to be a control module. The LEDS are wired to the LED control module on bottom of headlight - there is no wiring to see it is internal to the headlight

Replacing headlights is a bumper off job and then alignment etc. So the light itself is only part of the pain for the repair.

Replacing a LED control module on newest cars needs 3D barcode scanner (so the module can know what LEDs are in the headlight since same module used for various headlights) etc etc etc etc

R

Thanks for your reply, I had come to a similar conclusion on the likely effort required to even check if it is the LED. I have approached MB directly about some kind of financial help. They seem supportive, time will tell. It goes in for a diagnostic check next week.

Thanks for your reply, I had come to a similar conclusion on the likely effort required to even check if it is the LED. I have approached MB directly about some kind of financial help. They seem supportive, time will tell. It goes in for a diagnostic check next week.

So much for advanced technolgy - not very reliable and ooh so ever expensive to replace out of warrantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom