SL400 - 2016 onwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulXC

SUPPORTER
Car
2018 E220d S213 ||| 2012 E500 4.7 V8 Bi-Turbo Cabrio ||| 2021 Mercedes Sprinter Hymer Camper Van
Just pondering on one of these ….

Anyone got one ? - particularly thinking of the face lift 2016 onwards, 367bhp model.

Driving impressions? I'm thinking more of a GT than out and out sports car.
What sort of real world mpg?

Any engine weakness to look out for or issues with Active body control (ABC) - suspension system?

Thx

Anyone got one ? - particularly thinking of the face lift 2016 onwards, 367bhp model.

Any engine weakness to look out for or issues with Active body control (ABC) - suspension system?

Thx
I have the SL500 V8 429bhp version. Great car highly recommended. The ABC suspension is optional on the R231 unless you buy the SL63 or higher.

The R231 seems much more reliable than the preceding R230, best of both worlds coupe and convertible, make sure you buy with Airscarf and heated seats...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is the sort of mpg on a run from the V8, 20mpg around town, not sure about the V6 version.
5b7c35303ec69654be1869a05974eea0.jpg

I've got the 4.7TT lump in my E500 so used to that sort of MPG - I was wondering if the V6 was noticeably better. I've seen really nicely specced SL 400 at sensible money so just pondering on a change ...

No not really have reached 33mpg before now, Motorway driving using cruise control, on all long journeys I get between 29mpg and 33mpg. Last week drove from Essex into the City (43 miles) got 27.9mpg out of rush hour going, but only 23.6mpg in rush hour coming back.

The V8 is great on Motorways as rpm is so low at 75mph in 7th.

The worst I have ever achieved is 15.6mpg and that was after embarrassing a McLaren 570s ;-).

I've got the 4.7TT lump in my E500 so used to that sort of MPG - I was wondering if the V6 was noticeably better. I've seen really nicely specced SL 400 at sensible money so just pondering on a change ...
Go on you know you want to ;-). Get the SL500 or SL63, supercar acceleration with E class consumption and refinement....

Rorywquin has an SL400 facelift I am sure he will be along shortly with all your answers, he prefers the V6 to the V8...

They are very comfortable cars, not what I would class as a sports car, theybare to big, like you say a GT.
The airscarf is a bit pointless in my opinion(although it would be silly to not have it), if it's cold enough to warrant the airscarf then you generally have a coat/hoody/scarf around your neck, when its warm you dont need it. It is nice on a cold morning with the roof up as it works quickly.
Mine was a 63 so had the 5.5bi turbo, and posh suspension, mileage was similar to the 500.
Mine was 99% reliable with only an aircon issue which was sorted under warranty.

If I were to get another SL it would either be the 400 or the 63.....then 63 just because, or the sensible option of the 400

They are a very very nice car just to cruise around it.

I find the airscarf useless for me because although I'm tall I have a long body so the a/s hits my shoulders rather than my neck. The electric wind deflector behind the seats was a must for me too. As SL500amg a get low thirties on a run and it's currently averaging around 26 over the last few thousand miles. Don't watch the consumption though in sport with your foot down!

Last edited:
Rorywquin has an SL400 facelift I am sure he will be along shortly with all your answers, he prefers the V6 to the V8...

I love V8s but the V6 in the UK makes more sense. However, we do not buy these cars for "sense". I'd already owned more than one V8 so that was not an itch to scratch.

I find the airscarf useless for me because although I'm tall I have a long body so the a/s hits my shoulders rather than my neck. The electric wind screen begins the seats was a must for me too. As SL500amg a get low thirties on a run and it's currently averaging around 26 over the last few thousand miles. Don't watch the consumption though in sport with your foot down!
The Airscarf should move up with the adjustable headrest, does this not help?

No Kevin, the headrest is at its highest and it's still too low for me :wallbash:

Last edited:
Only once i found the airscarf any good.
A 300 mile night time trip with the roof down.
Had to raise the headrest and push my head right back onto the headrest.
I also had the electric wind deflector which is what you need.

Thx

Spoiler alert - I'm biased. I've owned a few V8s and my decision V6 or V8 was not based on affordability.

Prior to ordering mine, I read and/or watched dozens of reviews comparing the two (I was working in the Middle East with nothing to do at night in my hotel room).

I landed on the 400/450 because the one thing all the reviewers liked was that the 400 felt more nimble (better turn in and lighter) and I've already owned a few V8s and did not need to scratch that itch. The V8's additional weight (~150Lb ??) is all on the front wheels - and no matter what the V8 boys say it makes a difference:). The V8 will give you a different drive but if you need to scratch that itch get one it is still an awesome car.

ABC on the newer cars is a non-issue and I'd buy it again. It does more than give a smoother ride( read the specs). I had a R172 SLK 350 (no suspension adjustment) as a daily driver and that hard ride was not always fun.

If you want a V8 go for it otherwise, the V6 is an awesome machine and no slouch. Unfortunately, I don't look at fuel consumption so I cannot make a constructive comment (I'll check if you really want to know). If it will not be a daily driver, don't worry about consumption (if you are driving a SL the few £ a year extra is peanuts).

We got ours to do trips to Europe and it is a fabulous GT.

The airscarf is a bit pointless in my opinion(........

I'm 6'2" and the airscarf (IMO) makes a big difference. The idea is not to have the air on the back of your neck but linked with the front vents makes a sort of air wall across the cockpit. I took mine out for a run yesterday (1 degree) - roof open and a light tracksuit top, no gloves and a light cotton flat cap (keep the bald bit warm). Was perfectly warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always used my airscarf, never found the car cold at all, but didn't feel it necessary(more of a gimick).
I always drove it with the roof down whatever the temperature.
Compared to my older R230s I didn't notice a difference, they are all a nice cosy cacooned cabin with the roof down and windeflector and windows up.

Strangely, I find my R231 a lot draftier than the R230, not sure why, I just do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom