SL400 nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Austinbrewer

Car
SL400
I have purchased my dream car SL400 which is now a nightmare , it's been backwards and forwards to the dealer re creaking drivers seat, they have been great in trying to repair this but finally had to have a whole new seat as couldn't find the cause, now 2 weeks in I am having same creaking noises coming from new seat which is not acceptable, the hydraulics leaked in the boot as the cables perished and now it looks like a sensor has gone as I'm getting warnings that all my tyre pressures are dropping and rising whilst driving. Anyone else had these issues especially with the creaking seat as I think this may be a design issue and not just a rouge seat? I have had this new from March but any more issues and they can have it back. Any info would be great to hear :fail:fail

Blimey, that is really bad luck. I've had two new SL350s over the last two years and they've both been perfect. I weigh around 21st so gave the seat quite a hard time but it's never been creaky in either car.

With that that list of faults I'd seriously be looking into backing it.

Rather disturbing as we have one of these on order.

I think you'll struggle to return it after 6 months but I'd be inclined to ask them if they can get you out of it and in to a new one.

Thank you for your replies, I am so tempted to give it back and ask for a new one, this last issue is really the last straw any more issues it will be returned as I have never had to visit a garage so much in 6 months it's now embarrassing going back there every other week. It's a lovely car all I want is one that doesn't keep breaking! Not much to ask for nearly £80,000

Go in and ask now, don't leave it any longer. There also some very good deals available at the moment with there being a facelift in 2016. Hence us ordering last month.

Not on the same scale but my E class coupe has got an intermittent squeaky drivers seat. I have cured the problem by adjusting the seat to the extremes of movement several times which has ( for the moment ) removed the squeak. Fingers crossed.

Dave.

Exactly what I have been doing, moving the seat but it comes creeping back after a few days and then I move it again and it stops for a while. It does get annoying after a while. The passenger seat started doing the same today whilst out with the GF she moved it and it stopped but I feel it will come back. Hopefully there will be more people who have this issue and mercades can find out what's going on and fix the issues?

I bought an SL500 about 18 months ago and sold it after 3 months. It had numerous creaks and rattles from the start which the dealer was unable to fix. Probably the worst build quality of any car that I have owned. I was very disappointed for a car that should be a Mercedes flagship model.

I replaced it with a BMW 640 which is still like new and a much better car all round. It will take a lot for me to be tempted back to a Mercedes.

Thank you for your info. I think this is what I may be having to do! The car is back at Mercedes on Thursday to have the tyre pressure sensors sorted as they have all gone and I will be discussing this with them about any future issues if they arise I will have no choice other than hand the car back or change it out for another

Well we now have the creaking seat coming back on the drivers side again, exactly how the last one started, I move the seat position and it goes then comes back a few days later so I move the seat again it comes back a few days later. Now it creaks I move the seat it comes back a few hours later it has to be a design fault as apparently this is a new seat and it's happening again in exactly the same way the last one did, I really don't know what to do? I'm sure mercades will help but they have nothing comparable to the SL and I feel this would just happen again but I can't continue with this as its really annoying and embarrassing when passengers notice it. Everything also about the car is perfect but I can't live with it for much longer. Maybe I should jump into a ML for the winter until a new seat is made for the SL?

Well we now have the creaking seat coming back on the drivers side again, exactly how the last one started, I move the seat position and it goes then comes back a few days later so I move the seat again it comes back a few days later. Now it creaks I move the seat it comes back a few hours later it has to be a design fault as apparently this is a new seat and it's happening again in exactly the same way the last one did, I really don't know what to do? I'm sure mercades will help but they have nothing comparable to the SL and I feel this would just happen again but I can't continue with this as its really annoying and embarrassing when passengers notice it. Everything also about the car is perfect but I can't live with it for much longer. Maybe I should jump into a ML for the winter until a new seat is made for the SL?
This might be a slightly twisted seat rail which in time can bend the mountings under the seat and start the squeaking issue. This was the case with my Dads SL R129 many years ago
Terribly annoying.

You could very well be right, how to fix the issue may prove impossible without getting another car which may be the best way forward. Thank you for your input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom