SL400 R231 Chips/Re-mapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoristheBounce

Car
EQC 400 4Matic AMG in Brilliant Blue SL400 AMG Sport in Polar White
Hi Guys,

I hadn't thought of it myself but a friend asked if I intended to get the SL chipped.

Then of course you have to look into it:cool:

Well apparently the normal gain with a chip is 20% so taking my 333BHP to 400BHP, a very reasonable increase.

Has anyone done this; to a R231 2015 Model?

Thoughts please........

Cheers

Nev

A remap will always be preferable over a tuning box, especially if your car is no longer serviced with MB and no longer has the MB warranty. Claimed tuning box gains are almost always unrealistic and quite simply, false.

Get a remap with a before/after rolling road to show the figures.

MSL in Birmingham, Big Fish Tuning near Newcastle or GAD in Essex are the tuning companies that are the most used/respected in the UK (for Mercedes) :)

Last edited:
I say go for it! It's something I'm going to do with my SL in October once I change insurance companies.

I’ve wondered about this for ages. Mine is the 367hp version (with a great torque curve) and I barely/rarely make use of that power. It is more than enough for normal driving and I don’t do track days. What could I do with 20% more hp (440 ish) , I like the idea but....

I’ve wondered about this for ages. Mine is the 367hp version (with a great torque curve) and I barely/rarely make use of that power. It is more than enough for normal driving and I don’t do track days. What could I do with 20% more hp (440 ish) , I like the idea but....
You have to balance the extra torque and acceleration a remap will give you against the likelihood of an increased insurance premium.

Max Power is @ 6K if you care to rarely explore , but it's the higher rpm that 90+% off us don't use anyway .

More so is and will be the effortless low rpm 120 Nm torque gain waft , crème de la crème .

Screenshot_20210907-205847_Chrome.jpg

Max Power is @ 6K if you care to rarely explore , but it's the higher rpm that 90+% off us don't use anyway .

More so is and will be the effortless low rpm 120 Nm torque gain waft , crème de la crème .

View attachment 118122
I assume you mean max torque is at 6000rpm. That is a steep torque curve. A flat torque curve makes a more drivable car. Must have been an impressive tune to get those gains shown on that chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I
I assume you mean max torque is at 6000rpm. That is a steep torque curve. A flat torque curve makes a more drivable car. Must have been an impressive tune to get those gains shown on that chart.
I think you're reading the graph incorrectly. Max torque is at approx 3500 on that graph (light blue dotted lines).👍

@Gazwould - ignore previous comments - I misread the post

I

I think you're reading the graph incorrectly. Max torque is at approx 3500 on that graph (light blue dotted lines).👍
Yea got my self mixed up. :wallbash: I realised my mistake & you got that in as I was asking GW to ignore my comments.👍

Its the low down extra torque that impressed me and why I might just do it!

I'm planning to take my R231 SL63 to DMS for a remap, they are quoting some significant power & torque gains, should be looking at 533bhp to 650bhp & a similar increase in torque.. I'm looking at a Quaife LSD to help put the increased grunt down, I'll post some graphs & photos when its all done

I'm planning to take my R231 SL63 to DMS for a remap, they are quoting some significant power & torque gains, should be looking at 533bhp to 650bhp & a similar increase in torque.. I'm looking at a Quaife LSD to help put the increased grunt down, I'll post some graphs & photos when its all done
I'd use MSL or GAD over DMS personally.
MSL will fit a slippy diff for you too.
MSL remap will give circa 660 -680bhp and 760- 800 ft lbs on the M157

I know someone who had their one year old 63S remapped by MSL then took it to DMS .

When I asked him about how fast he drives he hadn't taken it over 60 mph 😂 😂 😂

I know someone who had their one year old 63S remapped by MSL then took it to DMS .

When I asked him about how fast he drives he hadn't taken it over 60 mph 😂 😂 😂
Methinks he is telling porkies.
I don't understand why, after having an MSL remap, he would then take it to DMS??o_O

He's since had a name change in my contacts list .

Screenshot_20210917-213115_Contacts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom