SL400 (R231) - Does a new battery need coding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kolobos

Car
SL400 AMG Sport 2015
Hi,
I have suspected my battery has not been the best for a while with the start-stop feature only working occasionally and then after a couple of start-stops it does not work again for days? I have just bought a 12v battery tester and it reports its health as being 15%, Charge 42% and everything else as OK. However, it does prompt me to REPLACE the battery. I am more than willing to do this and would like to know if the battery will need coding to the car? I am planning on buying the exact Mercedes replacement battery. Thanks.

Steve.

If you have never replaced the battery then it has done well to last 7 years. All AGM batteries have a "chip" with a unique code so it will need coding to the car. Buying the exact same battery is not enough as the chip code will be different.
Have you asked your MB dealer for a quote, I believe they always were very competitive on battery pricing. If you are not using the car as a "daily" it may also be worth investing in a trickle charger to keep it in tip top condition. If you are an MB club member you may get a discount - worth asking
kc

Replaced the AGM battery in my CLS and no mention of chips or coding.
Simply swapped them over and reset the windows etc.. No issues

Replace luck for like = no coding
Replace for a larger capacity = coding to get the most out of the capacity of the battery.

Thanks for your replies, I know a local independent dealer who is Mercedes trained and connected to the Mercedes computer network so I am confident he will be able to sort if I cannot. I have some Mercedes OE diagnostic kit (not STAR) which can code parts etc to cars. Not sure about Mercedes yet though, none the less I should be able to sort. Sounds as though a like for like genuine battery will be OK. Thanks again,

Steve.

Reactions: Ted
Never heard of a battery require coding...

Slow charge your battery for 12 hours, might be fine for years ahead.

Thanks for your replies, I know a local independent dealer who is Mercedes trained and connected to the Mercedes computer network so I am confident he will be able to sort if I cannot. I have some Mercedes OE diagnostic kit (not STAR) which can code parts etc to cars. Not sure about Mercedes yet though, none the less I should be able to sort. Sounds as though a like for like genuine battery will be OK. Thanks again,

Steve.
I have the icarsoft obd tester and that can code a battery

kc

Changed mine recently, don't need coding and you can buy a quality battery for a lot less than Mercedes will quote you.

Changed my original Varta battery last year with a Bosch AGM...no coding everything works fine.
I don't think AGM batteries are chipped as such but the car system needs to know the battery spec in order to calculate how much power is available.

If you have never replaced the battery then it has done well to last 7 years. All AGM batteries have a "chip" with a unique code so it will need coding to the car. Buying the exact same battery is not enough as the chip code will be different.
Have you asked your MB dealer for a quote, I believe they always were very competitive on battery pricing. If you are not using the car as a "daily" it may also be worth investing in a trickle charger to keep it in tip top condition. If you are an MB club member you may get a discount - worth asking
kc

This is not a thread for Russian propaganda.

No chip on any Mercedes battery. Latest models have an option to tell the relevant control unit that the battery has been changed. Helps to gain perfect operation immediately after the battery swap. Without "reset" the car adapts rather quickly to the new battery properties, no big harm if not "coded".

Definitely, no coding is required after speaking with the main dealer, also the battery part number has changed from A0055411001 to A0019828208 and they are £193.82 inc. vat. I will probably buy the original one as the car is totally original and genuine. Not a single part is non-genuine from new. At some point, this will change I know that :) Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated.

On another note, has anyone had the need to change the auxiliary battery behind the driver's seat?

Reactions: Ted
New battery swapped over in a few minutes, no settings lost, no issues or problems showing at present. All windows working as they should. ALL GOOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom