SL400 vs C43 Engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRIVER200

Car
C43 AMG Estate
Is there any major differences between the engine in the SL400 and the new C43 as on paper the SL has a few more BHP but is slower from 0-60MPH but it's not classed as an AMG so assume the C43 has a few more technical benefits?

cars are on completely different platforms, so difficult to do any meaningful comparison

I bet it's the same engine with different states of tune.

It's the same 2996cc Biturbo and they both have 367hp (current new models).

In the pre face lift SL400 (the one I have) the same engine produces 333hp.

It's basically had a factory remap. Other than that no differences I'm aware of.

C43 will be 4matic so the traction probably gives it better standing start times.

cars are on completely different platforms, so difficult to do any meaningful comparison

I bet it's the same engine with different states of tune.

Yep so assume the AMGness is all to do with tuning which I suppose makes sense.

Yep so assume the AMGness is all to do with tuning which I suppose makes sense.

There will be differences in the chassis on the AMG v. the non AMG C Class.

Other than that you cannot directly compare a C Class and an SL even if the C is an AMG. End of. I'm not sure where you are coming from. The SL is a heavier car...but I'd rather it than the C Class (unless I had three small children and a dog).

Pointless willie waving methinks.

Other than that you cannot directly compare a C Class and an SL even if the C is an AMG. End of. I'm not sure where you are coming from. The SL is a heavier car...but I'd rather it than the C Class (unless I had three small children and a dog).

Perhaps a better performance comparison would be between the C63AMG and the SL63 as both are V8 AMG cars, however both are worlds apart as vehicles..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Or three small dogs and a child. My actual point was that it was interesting that MB sell two cars with the same power output -I accept they are different models so don't bother reminding me as I am not really comparing cars just engines- and one has been AMG'd and the other not. Perhaps we need a SL43 AMG...... but guess no point as this would need to be around 450BHP which places it too close to big brother the 63 which is probably why MB didn't bother introducing a C43s... but it's early days so who knows.....

MB often sell different models with the same power output. This isn't new.

Or three small dogs and a child. My actual point was that it was interesting that MB sell two cars with the same power output -I accept they are different models so don't bother reminding me as I am not really comparing cars just engines- and one has been AMG'd and the other not. Perhaps we need a SL43 AMG...... but guess no point as this would need to be around 450BHP which places it too close to big brother the 63 which is probably why MB didn't bother introducing a C43s... but it's early days so who knows.....
The SL500 has 449bhp from a 4.7l so that is why there is not a SL430, the SL500 can be tuned to 517 bhp, after that a huge jump to the SL63 which is a true AMG monster with 577bhp only surpassed by the V12 SL65 at 621bhp. The 0-62 times for the 500, 63 and 65 are 4.3, 4.1 and 4.0 respectively.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom