SL500 1994 non start after harness replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PHAB

Car
1999 SL600 Sport
Hi all,

helped a friend replaced the upper engine harness on his 1994 SL500. The original was falling to bits and although the car was running pretty well with just the occasional lumpy idle ... it was a matter of time.

Sent the loom to Sileck who appear to have done a first class job rebuilding it...reinstalled the loom...meticulously....re-installed battery.....

Initially had an immobiliser issue which meant the engine wouldnt turn over...sorted that by re-pairing the key and now have a non start....engine cranks fine....but wont start. Have checked fuel pressure which is fine, will check spark next and then injector pulse. Screaming to me like an injector pulse issue perhaps due to the new loom having an issue...but I want to cross off every item first. Have also checked fuses and relays. Alternatively it might be an immobiliser issue from disconnecting the battery but Im hoping that since the engine cranks...the immobiliser is off.

Could I be missing something obvious?!!! Any help much appreciated.

Is there an alarm fitted, in working or non working order, what type of keys/remote fobs do you have?
After disconnecting the car battery, some alarms of that period would rearm themselves when the battery is reconnected leaving the car immobilised until it is unlocked again with a remote fob or whatever means are used to unlock the car.

Dec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81jOSKzpaas

[YOUTUBE HD]81jOSKzpaas[/YOUTUBE HD]

OK there is spark. The alarm is factory fit with an immobiliser that is deactivated with a little tree pronged widget next to the ignition barrel. Single button key, blade type.

No injector pulse....either loom or immo now. Any simple ways to check?! I don't have another loom to swap sadly.

You could take a look at the immobiliser, it’s the small Black box in video, the big Black box is the alarm system brain, located under passenger foot rest, don’t know if it’s the same on your car.
Cant help with injectors.

Dec

If the engine is cranking but not starting, wouldn't that throw a fault that could be read by a blink reader? Easy to make or buy from ebay.

Not sure if it could contribute to the non starting but did your mate get his throttle body rewired at the same time? If not maybe the wiring to this was disturbed and is now shorting out.

Can you spray an ez start type thing into the intake, if you are getting spark at the right time it should start. Although all that will do is confirm that fuel is the issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom