SL500 ECU Remap or Throttle Box?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLChris

Car
SL500
Hi all, just bought a 2002 SL500 and have been reading a lot of reviews and opinions about tuning.

What are peoples thoughts about an ECU Remap vs a throttle response box?

I understand the throttle box won't give me more HP but just wondering if it would be a better option?

Here's what I'm looking at:
Mercedes SL-Class R230 500 SL 01-12 306Hp Racechip XLR Throttle Response Box | eBay

Any advice would be appreciated

I've never had a drive-by-wire Mercedes that didn't have throttle lag...

You won't get a great deal more power or torque on a n/a engine without hardware changes. Whether it's worth it depends on how much the remap costs; £300 for a generic remap from somebody like Celtic Tuning is small change, but I doubt you'd notice the difference anyway. If improving your performance in the traffic light Grand Prix is what you want, a throttle box is probably a better option.

Neither will turn your SL500 into a sports car; it was never meant to be one, and it isn't.

I'm still intrigued by this question and don't fully understand the difference. I've been told by well-respected tuners that they can't map out the drive-by-wire throttle lag on my car (admittedly a different model). So can the throttle response boxes do something the best mappers can't and, if so, how/why? Is it model-dependent?

I've read other threads where people have seen great results from the boxes (e.g. Gaz above), so not disputing they work, just I don't understand! I have throttle lag and it's annoying. But I'm hesitant to add a box to the ECU remap I already have.

My preference is Sprint Booster , nothing is bulky to hide and once you find a desired setting you can detatch the controller and there's nothing then to see .

Plus a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so there is no risk of disappointment .

Thanks for all your replies. Might try a Sprint Booster or similar product, just trying to find a supplier in the UK.

Thanks. Yes, I read that. Other posts on here and other forums question whether the boxes really reduce throttle lag from drive by wire, though, or just give the impression of doing so by effectively changing the pedal position, e.g. 30% throttle position with box equates to 70% without. I suppose it depends on how throttle lag is defined.

However, if it removes the flat spot at the top of the pedal, that's good for me. I just don't get why remappers say they can't do this.

Is there a risk doing this with a remapped car, i.e. risk to the ECU map being compromised?

EDIT: And there is also debate whether the lag people experience is gearbox or throttle pedal related for the 7G+ box.

PS - sorry OP for the thread hijack - good luck with this, very interested to hear how it works out.

Rtec .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom