SL500 - How good is it and what kind if cars would you compare it to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

karimi2009

Car
merc
hey everyone

i am looking to buy a car used

looking at the SL500 2004/2005

How good a car do you think you think it is and what are its rivals

what are the pros and cons of the SL500

Would love to hear your views as MB experts

thanks a lot in advance

hey everyone

i am looking to buy a car used

looking at the SL500 2004/2005

How good a car do you think you think it is and what are its rivals

Would love to hear your views as MB experts

thanks a lot in advance

Hi,the sl500 is a lovely car but budget accordingly in case of problems.Try to get a 2005 on model as it will be galvernised:thumb:

Nice car - but I hope you have deep well lined pockets.

It goes without saying its going to be a thirsty beast and if something goes wrong, can be expensive to put right properly. Even by Mercedes standards. Again, pretty obvious.
Hard to reel of a list of rivals, as cars are such personal objects.
A TVR Griffith might tick your boxes, as a Morgan +8 might.
Thats a difficult one to answer.

I think for BMW comparitives, you would look somewhere between Z4 and 6 Series, not much else about IIRC. :confused:

But to be honest, in my opinion, the SL is quite a stand alone car.

The direct competition is the BMW 6 series and the Jaguar XK/XKR. I say direct competition because they're the only marginally similar cars from mainstream manufacturers that sell in the UK. However both of them are rag tops and on that basis the SL has no competition.

Regards,

SL is a wonderful car in my opinion, but, I agree on going for a 2005 onwards model. I used a 2004 SL350 for a few weeks and noticed in various corners it was already corroding!! Boss will back me up on this as we were both surprised to see the rust bubbles on such a nice, fairly recent car!

A TVR Griffith might tick your boxes, as a Morgan +8 might.

Both extremely different cars to the SL.

Would you class the TVR as reliable , and that you wouldn't need deep pockets to run it ?

I wouldn't say the +8 is a rival to the SL500 at all ....

SL is a wonderful car in my opinion, but, I agree on going for a 2005 onwards model. I used a 2004 SL350 for a few weeks and noticed in various corners it was already corroding!! Boss will back me up on this as we were both surprised to see the rust bubbles on such a nice, fairly recent car!

Agree, get 2005 onwards. I was very lucky as I ordered mine in 2003 and got the 2005 spec which is much better. And yes, I got rust on the wheel arches a couple of years ago but MB fixed it free. Beautiful car and the only other one that I'd consider would be an Aston but that's a bit too expensive. Hard to compare to other cars.

It's now 6.5 years old and done 30,000 miles and been trouble-free but you hear some horror-stories so you have to be prepared. Good luck in your search.

...the only other one that I'd consider would be an Aston but that's a bit too expensive.

A man after my own heart there... Fisker Tramonto... An SL with Aston styling. Perfect :)

799873_large2.jpg

Except for the RSJ wedged in the grille holding up the centre of the bonnet :eek:

Seems we've all posted on the competition but not really answered all your questions... so... my best shot...

Pro's...

Beautiful cars and generally reliable.
V8 (power, sound, smoothness)
Lovely ride and handling (depending on wheel/tyre choice).
Hard top convertible.

Con's...

Some inherent faults depending on age... Rust, roof leaks, boot leaks, blocked drains leading to soaking floors, drowned electrics etc.
V8 (fuel consumption, insurance)
Some items such as suspension struts very expensive (£1000+ per corner).

There was a revision for the 2005 model which updated the telematics to the current MOST technology as opposed to the older D2B as well as some other changes.

There was a face lift in late 2006 for the 2007 model that updated the COMAND system as well as the 350 engine (not sure on the 500). I think this is also when the 7G box was introduced but perhaps someone who knows better can comment on that. Some people love the 7G, some hate it, I love it.

You can easily recognise a face lift model as it has 3 grille slats. The earlier ones having 4.

It seems to be generally accepted that the roof and boot leaks have been fixed since the face lift and as was already mentioned, the rust issues addressed too.

The only real advice I can give you is if your budget will stretch to it, don't rule out a face lift 350. It will give an earlier 500 a good run for it's money, and it is slightly cheaper to run (although really not much). With cars as complex and expensive as these though in my mind you should always buy the absolute latest you can afford.

Good luck with your search.

I wouldn't say the +8 is a rival to the SL500 at all ....

Without bonnet straps or running boards the SL couldn't possibly be considered as an adequate substitute for the Morgan. Now where's my flying helmet?

Without bonnet straps or running boards the SL couldn't possibly be considered as an adequate substitute for the Morgan. Now where's my flying helmet?

Don't forget your fireproof suit as well as your pipe and slippers :)

Less of the pipe and slippers, please!

When I had mine at the age of 30 I was, according to the mechanic at my local Morgan garage, the only customer he'd met under the age of 60, and the only one to have done the 300 mile and 3000 mile services within 6 months of buying the car, the average for most being under 500 miles a year.

A man after my own heart there... Fisker Tramonto... An SL with Aston styling. Perfect :)

799873_large2.jpg

I'd never heard of that before, let alone seen one - I like it lots!

A 645i might be a good alternative?, maybe a 911 cabrio of some sort?.

I'd be looking for a Weisman Roadster...

Wiesmann - Manufaktur der Individualisten - Home

795_2214_0_roadster_mf4_galerie_exterieur_07.jpg

Nick Froome

Saw one the other day, a lot like an MGA roadster with silicon in all the right places. Just the sort of car Jaguar should be trying to build rather than the normal Gin palace XKs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom