SL500 points to ponder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All
Very many thanks for all the help and advice, now, I'm really torn
I always wanted the V8 SL, but, with some less than honest dealers out there and the potential cost of maintenance, I think that being prepared to be flexible is the right way to go.

Given my budget, I am going to open my search up to SL350's as well.

I will, of course, keep you all up to speed with my search and let you see what I eventually buy.

John

Do a bit of research on the balancer shaft issues with M272 engine if you are thinking of the 350. It affected the earlier 3.5 litre engines which replaced the 3.7 litre engine in the 2003/5 cars. There is a thread on here which lists the engine numbers which could be affected.

It's a minefield out there, I tell ye.:)

The SL500's only issue that isn't on the SL350 is potentially with the ABC suspension, the SL350 counters that with the potential balance shaft issue, everything else is shared so on balance the SL500 is the way to go IMO. A few things in the SL500's favour are.....the robust V8 engine and 7 speed auto gearbox, the excellent ABC suspension, the chance of a higher number of options over the SL350 such as Bose, staggered wheels, pano roof and of course the fabulous V8 exhaust note especially with a secondary CAT delete. Look out for a car spec'ed with the AMG body kit, quite a rare option but worth having IMO.

For a bit more than that v8, you could have mine John!

Gents
These two have popped up;
Marcus James quality used cars Suffolk UK (2003/33,500 miles)
and
Used Mercedes-Benz SL Series SL 350 [272] 2dr Tip Auto 2 Doors Convertible for sale in Lowestoft, Suffolk - CMV Automotive
I know this is the V6, but, I would value your opinions

Thanks
John
I like both......

The SL500 is very low mileage so I would check that out. Its has parking sensors front and rear which was an option and the sought after factory fit AMG bodykit, also has a pano roof. I also see that the outdated COMAND has been replaced which is a good thing.

The SL350 is a nice colour combination, its twice the mileage of the SL500 but I wouldn't see that as an issue. Its got the parking sensors and the pano roof. Check if it is on standard coils and dampers as ABC was an option (although rare due to the cost). Something to check (pic 3) is that the offside rook flap looks a bit low where it meets the roof mechanism in the down position, this could be a sign of roof issues to come.

As an aside ... perhaps consider a late R129 SL500 instead? A good one won't be any cheaper than an R230, but they're not quite as complex so possibly a better long term proposition if you're looking for a 'keeper' and don't really need a folding metal roof.

The V8 is well overpriced, but most cars from dealers like that are; they rely on somebody who is prepared to pay over the odds for a good example. The car has been a garage queen for most if not all of its life if the mileage is genuine, and three months' warranty is pretty much valueless on a reliable, low-mileage car with a new MoT; your normal legal rights apply for six months anyway, and any warranty is in addition to, not replacing, those.

For the same money, you could have this: Mercedes sl55 amg | eBay

The SL55 is well-priced; the SL500 is not. I know which I'd have, but it's your money you spend.

Well gents, many thanks for all the advice, as a result I was able to confirm that the very pretty, blue 350 has an engine number seriously to the wrong side of the balance shaft fix.
Yes, it may have been done, but, it was a long way to go to risk discovering there is no paperwork.

However, the good news is, I am the owner of the SL500
https://www.marcus-james-used-cars-suffolk.co.uk/our-cars (33,500 / 2003)
A good, clean car
plenty of work done on it
Boot seals new 2 months ago
Boot DRY
All round nice car
Got a bit knocked off the price and a fair PX for my Boxster

Again, thank you all for your time and advice
John

Well gents, many thanks for all the advice, as a result I was able to confirm that the very pretty, blue 350 has an engine number seriously to the wrong side of the balance shaft fix.
Yes, it may have been done, but, it was a long way to go to risk discovering there is no paperwork.

However, the good news is, I am the owner of the SL500
Marcus James quality used cars Suffolk UK (33,500 / 2003)
A good, clean car
plenty of work done on it
Boot seals new 2 months ago
Boot DRY
All round nice car
Got a bit knocked off the price and a fair PX for my Boxster

Again, thank you all for your time and advice
John
Enjoy the car. Silver is by far the best colour for an SL in my biased opinion :D

Tanzanite is better, but only with a light-coloured interior...

Enjoy the car; I'm sure you will. ABC and SBC problems are more mileage- than age-related, so you should be fine there, and the boot seals have been done.

You're content, and that's all that matters in the end.

Well, come the weekend, I will be having an avatar (I hope). Like to guess what it will be?

John

Congratulations John, glad you went for the V8. Looks like a good weekend too to get the top down.

All, a question or three if I may;

Do the SL owners organise runs, rallies, pub visits etc?
Ditto above the MBClub UK?
I'm thinking of doing the solstice run (Lands End to Ness Point) this year, anyone else thought of giving it a go?
Did it last year in the Boxster with No1 son, a good couple of days (and nights)

Thanks
John

Gents
Now that I have the SL500 at home, can I ask for your advice on a minor issue
The COMAND unit has been replaced with a Kenwood DMX7017DABS unit.

Is there any way the car clock can be altered without the original COMAND unit in place?

On down side of this car is the lack of a MB handook of any description
I plan to have a play with the seat setting tomorrow, I think I have this covered, but, may yet come to you for advice

I also hope to get some photos and will try uploading some, if you are interested

Thanks
John

Disconnect the battery shortly before a certain time, set the clock to that time, and reconnect the battery at that time!

Next time I have to gave and electrical fiddle, I'll give it a go
I'm assuming it's the battery in the boot

Thanks
John

All
Had an extended play with the Kenwood head unit today.
Discovered that it should have a remote . . . . OK, £15.00 off ebay
Now I can't seem to get the DAB radio to tune in anything other than Radio 4 (fine) and absolute (urhg)
It doesn't seem to have satnav

SWMBO suggests we fine another head unit that has satnav, DAB we can tune, DVD player . . . . .maybe
Any suggestions?

Duhhh . .the SRS warning light won't go out!
Unless you gurus have an alternative suggestion, I plan to take the car to my local friendly independent garage next week and get them to diagnose the problem.

Thanks (again)
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom