SL500 points to ponder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi John, I guess that the cost of ownership might be somewhat lower for a 350. This will be my first purchase of a 10+ year old car which is not likely to appreciate in value - unlike a Triumph classic.
Check that you won't have the balance shaft issue on the SL350, I think you should be ok with a 2007 car but earlier ones could be an issue. Worth checking engine number.

See link below for balance shaft problems......

You are being redirected...

Check that you won't have the balance shaft issue on the SL350, I think you should be ok with a 2007 car but earlier ones could be an issue. Worth checking engine number.

See link below for balance shaft problems......

You are being redirected...
Thanks David. I was able to track down the engine no. and it's later than those suffering the balance shaft problem. Now I am well prepared to look at the SL350 tomorrow!

Forumites,
The ecstasy of ownership has dampened with the 1st heavy rain since I bought my car!
The boot was dry, now it isn't.
My problem is that I don't really understand how the water is getting in.
Let me try to be clear, following a night of heavy rain;
With the boot closed & the boot separator in position, it was the left hand side of the boot carpet and the left side of the boot separator which were wet.
Ah ha thought I, boot seal. Contact dealer, get it fixed, easy.
I removed the carpet and have dried it out.
I pat dried the carpet sith more towel.
I have put a rubber boot liner in.
I have made and installed a waterproof cover of the air pump assembly
I then closed the boot divider and covered it with a large old towel, now used for all things automotive.
The following morning I chamoised the boot lid, rear window and rear wings to remove all the water.
On opening the boot, only the left hand side of the towel was wet, not the carpet, not my waterproof cover
I carefully checked the complete boot seal, and the area below the rear window, for signs of water; nothing.
This confused me!
The only water in the boot was on the divider. How can this be?
It is no where near any potential leak point that is obvious to me

Any suggestions, as always, gratefully received.

John

Leaks into the boot can happen in a few places....

1. Anywhere along the seal between the boot lid and the rear window.
2. Either of the 2x water drains on each side of the rear window, look in the corner of the boot lid just by the "c" pillar and the other can be seen within the boot under the rear window.
3. The seal at the bottom of the "c" pillar.

Leaks into the boot can happen in a few places....

1. Anywhere along the seal between the boot lid and the rear window.
2. Either of the 2x water drains on each side of the rear window, look in the corner of the boot lid just by the "c" pillar and the other can be seen within the boot under the rear window.
3. The seal at the bottom of the "c" pillar.

First job tomorrow, once my daughter has finished with me, will be to recheck points 1 & 3 and look for and check the drains from point 2.

Many thanks
John

First job tomorrow, once my daughter has finished with me, will be to recheck points 1 & 3 and look for and check the drains from point 2.

Many thanks
John
Whilst you're checking drains have a look in the air box under the passenger bonnet vent and make sure there is no water in it, this is another area where the air box drain blocks and water leaks in to the passenger footwell.

Whilst you're checking drains have a look in the air box under the passenger bonnet vent and make sure there is no water in it, this is another area where the air box drain blocks and water leaks in to the passenger footwell.

Will do and will report back.
I have the boot floor and divider protected and new towel in place, so, tomorrow 1st thing, I will start the checks
(I can do this whilst 'loading my tools' into the Kuga for the trip to my daughters place)

Did it rain overnight on the second night? If not, there will still have been some moisture in the boot, and in the colder night air it may have condensed on the underside of the boot, on the exposed metal parts and the boot mechanism, on the left hand side. Mine does this.

If it rained, you probably still have a leaking seal, even if you cannot find it.

Did it rain overnight on the second night? If not, there will still have been some moisture in the boot, and in the colder night air it may have condensed on the underside of the boot, on the exposed metal parts and the boot mechanism, on the left hand side. Mine does this.

If it rained, you probably still have a leaking seal, even if you cannot find it.

Yes it rained
I have received a lot of good advice, very quickly, I will keep the forum updated on progress

John

Thanks David. I was able to track down the engine no. and it's later than those suffering the balance shaft problem. Now I am well prepared to look at the SL350 tomorrow!
Hi Guys. I have taken the plunge and bought an SL350. 2007 with full service record, only 34K miles and 2 year warranty. Collecting it next week and will post some pics. Thanks for your advice which helped me check out various items.

Hi Folks. I collected the car yesterday and it runs superbly so had a very pleasant trip from Nottingham home to North Wales. By 12 year old standards it is pristine with an unmarked body, service record (part M-B and part indie), 34 K miles and a 2 year warranty. Despite this I have booked it into my local indie for a free (yes free) health check. I'll report back if anything is amiss. Here are some of the dealers pics. Thanks again for your help in guiding me to my choice.:) IMG-20190306-WA0000.jpg IMG-20190306-WA0005.jpg IMG-20190306-WA0006.jpg IMG-20190306-WA0008.jpg IMG-20190306-WA0014.jpg

I must say that looks lovely. I particularly like the fact its silver, the nice 5 spoke alloys and the dark wood interior trim. I wonder if the boot lip spoiler is aftermarket or OEM, looks nice.

I must say that looks lovely. I particularly like the fact its silver, the nice 5 spoke alloys and the dark wood interior trim. I wonder if the boot lip spoiler is aftermarket or OEM, looks nice.
It's aftermarket and I'm not sure I like it but there are a few around what do you folks think?

A nice looking car, but I'm biased as I have tellurium silver SL350 as well, I like the wheels but I did debate whether or not to go with a rear spoiler but came down against it on the basis that it's not a sports car and it detracts from the clean lines of the car. That said it was a long thought out decision which could have gone either way so all down to personal preference, if you like it, which is what counts, then leave it on. :)

Get the facelift car, much better car, power steering pump whining problem, having it changed very soon

I think the spoiler does something to sharpen up the slightly bland rear aspect of the car, so make up your own mind if you keep it. As Gramey said, it's not a sports car, but neither are 90% of cars with rear spoilers, whether aftermarket or OEM, so you're in good company.

Get the facelift car, much better car, power steering pump whining problem, having it changed very soon

Do we judge that you have a facelift R230 with a noisy power steering pump?

A nice looking car, but I'm biased as I have tellurium silver SL350 as well, I like the wheels but I did debate whether or not to go with a rear spoiler but came down against it on the basis that it's not a sports car and it detracts from the clean lines of the car. That said it was a long thought out decision which could have gone either way so all down to personal preference, if you like it, which is what counts, then leave it on. :)
Hi folks and thenks for your thoughts. I'll remain undecided on the spoiler for the time being. I'll check with my bodywork friend as to how easy it might be to remove and if it can be done without paint damage to the boot lid. The alloys are new AMG 19". The car was originally specd. with 19" wheels but these were changed for 18" at some stage (possibly because of ride quality?). These were still at the dealers but were not the usual R230 pattern.

Keep the spoiler and the wheels are great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom