SL500 R230 Heated Rear Screen Not Working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marple

Car
SL500 R230
Hello, hoping to find some pearls of wisdom on this one.

I recently acquired an SL500 R230 and up until recently have had no need to use the heated rear screen. Unfortunately, I pressed the button in the car last week and although the switch lights up the rear screen heater is clearly not doing anything at all.

I've checked the related fuses under the bonnet and also the one in the glovebox behind the drivers seat and both are fine. I've also checked the associated relay and that is also fine....GULP!!

Has anyone had a similar issue? I've tried searching for threads on this but there doesn't seem to be a conclusive answer....that I can find. Perhaps there is a way of testing the heating element in the screen itself? I really don't want to replace the back window so I'm praying for a miracle here. All connections to the element look to be in order too.

:wallbash:

If you have a multimeter test for live supply at the connections, one probe on each connector. This can also be checked with a 12v bulb in a bulb holder, again one wire to each connector, or one wire to a connector and the other to a suitable earth point, then the other connector in the same way. This will check for a possible break in both wires.

If that checks out ok you need to test the circuit in the screen and the easiest way is again with a multimeter - Multi-testers - Testing Continuity With Multi-testers

The R129 SL's heated rear screen (in the hardtop) is very ineffective compared to most cars ... wonder if the R230 is similar? Mine won't 'demist' at all - it relies on the aircon to do that. It will (very slowly) melt frost ... that's the only way you would know it was working.

Thanks, I'll take a look with an avo and see what results I can turn up…much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom