SL500 R230 load assist issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveg82

Car
clk200 w209
Ok so I recently purchased an SL500 r230 to use this summer , the load assist button was not working , I had a look at it today and found it to be disconnected (I thought I wonder if it was disconnected for a reason) anyway on re connecting it worked as it should , so I thought great! Anyway next time I stopped and switched off and then on again the car just turned over , tried again and it fired up as it should , however with the EML displayed , I plugged my mini diagnostics in and it came up with camshaft position sensor , I erased the code , light went out and all was fine , next time I restarted the car did the same however no engine light , next issue it started to run rough and misfire and engine light came on , I’m now thinking this is lol connected to the reconnection of load assist button , so I unplugged it and it’s back to running as normal with no issues , this is obviously why it was disconnected in the first place , now , I do not need the load assist button so am just happy to leave it unplugged , however , I am intrigued as to how such a connection could cause such issues , any one have any experience of this ? Any input would be appreciated. It’s not somthing I’m too bothered about as I bought the car only to use for the summer and plan to sell at the end of summer , I bought it cheap enough to get my money back any time of the year , hence am not worried about the function of that feature. Merely Intrigued. The car is a 2003 500 with 74k. Looking forward to any input of why it would do what it does when connected. Thanks in advance

Not sure I can help but he faults you describe are classic CPS failure. Just interested what is load assist and where is the button. My wife has a 350 and there is a red button on the boot sill but I have never discovered what its for!

The red button is the load assist. With the roof down, lift the boot as high as it will go then when the load assist button is pressed the roof raises a few inches making it easier to get things into or out of the boot.

Thanks...every days a school day.

The car performs perfectly with no issues when the load assist button is disconnected , with it connected it throws up all sorts of errors and doesn’t run right. Oh well I’ll leave it disconnected

That is very weird indeed, and as the CPS is connected to the engine management system, and that button is no where near (either connects to roof module or rear SAM, can't remember) - perhaps you have something that has got wet somewhere ?
Or has someone badly wired in something extra and just got it badly wrong ?

It would probably take some hours to work out what on earth is going on there. Have you tried it again ? (i.e connecting it and seeing if engine plays up) ..

R

The car performs perfectly with no issues when the load assist button is disconnected , with it connected it throws up all sorts of errors and doesn’t run right. Oh well I’ll leave it disconnected
Kudos to the guy who originally diagnosed the rough running to the load assist button and disconnected it. Wonder if it's worth trying a new button just in case it's causing some sort of short? Any sign of water ingress anywhere in the boot?

Yes , every time the load assist button is connected the car does not perform as it should , ie failing to start , running lumpy , engine management light coming on. Once disconnected the problems go away and car runs perfect. But yes to answer the question it has at some point in its life been wet in the boot as there is a faint damp smell within the boot area. Also the car has an issue where the command / nav unit does not have sound. The unit all works as it normally would but with no sound. This was diagnosed as being the amp at fault. Maybe that also boy wet I do not know. All that said the car cost me £3000. Which I bought merely to use in this hot weather we are having so such issues do not bother me. The load assist issue however intreigued me so much , hence my asking here. It’s just so odd how that causes the issues it does when connected. But yes to answer the question the car has at some point suffered water ingress.

Only thing I can think is that part of the wiring is dragging the volts down causing errors with the electronics? Might be shorted to ground partially. Worth seeing what the running voltage is like with and without load assist connected.

Yes Chris I thought must be causing some electrical overload , well I’m happy to just leave it as it is. So that I shall do , thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom